Tablet for Field Surveys

meyersj

Apr 23, 2014
I am doing research into tablets for use in a field survey. Personal interviews will be conducted and the responses will be recorded into the tablet. I have listed my requirements below along with some findings from initial research. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Requirements:

• Ability to connect to 3/4g cell network
  • Battery that will last full day in field
  • Camera
  • GPS receiver

The requirements are fairly minimal. Most of the tablets I have been looking at have both a camera and GPS receiver so that criteria is probably not as relevant. Also having a high quality image or the fastest processor are not as important as a long battery life.

The LG G Pad 8.3 LTE was listed as having the longest usage time out of all the other options through Verizon, but another review mentioned its battery life was sub-standard (maybe just compared to ipads?). The other issue was I read that it only works with 4g networks and not anything lower. Is this the only table with this constraint?

The other tablets that looked interesting were the Tab 2 7.0 from Verizon and the Tab 3 7.0 from AT&T. The Google Nexus 7 is on back order from Verizon for what looks like 2 months.