Tablet info

DesertCruiser

Jun 4, 2013
I need to know a few things before I get involved with one of these tablets, so first here's what I want one for. Reading books off-line, maybe a little surfing, email, BUT the main use is as a GPS with a map system for off-roading.

I'm thinking of getting a Samsung 7 or 10 inch tablet (or a Nexus if it's better) with a GPS and wi-fi not cell service, so I can use it to download map APPS from by wireless router into the tablet. Here's the thing. There are so many map APP's out there, some are probably not going to be detailed enough or work like I'd like them too. So if you download an APP and don't like it can you remove it (like un-installing in a PC) or does it just stay in the tablet? I don't want it to use up memory or disc space that I might need for another Map App. Can they be removed?

Next: Any one tablet better than another for use as a GPS? Some GPS units work better than others, how about tablets. One have a higher sensitivity than another one?

Which one will be easier to see in the outdoors, but in a vehicle?

Which map APP is more detailed and has the best detail and good zoom level?
We are going to get a tablet to replace or use with our GPS, I just need more info before buying. We will also be writing up a review on the tablet and APP.
Thanks in advance,
Don.....

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I would stick to the Samsung over the Nexus but that's just me

Sygic has one of the more detailed maps app. It isn't free. When on the road it works very well with just about any tablet with GPS and won't require any data or WiFi after the maps are installed. The ASUS Infinity TF700 fits the bill. I suggest that tablet because it's high res and has a turbo viewing mode that makes it easier to see in sunlight.

If you purchase, (or otherwise install), any app it CAN be uninstalled, (not quite like a PC but close enough). A purchased app from Google can get refunded withion 15 minutes and uninstalled, with minor hassle.

DesertCruiser

Jun 4, 2013
leeshor Thanks for that info I'll copy it and look into the tablet and the map system. All our use of GPS is in remote areas, so having a good map is a must, our GPS right now is okay but the screen is so small it hard to find anything. I liked the idea of being able to add memory to the Samsung also. If I have any more questions concerning this I'll get back to you.
Thanks again,
Don.....
PS this will give you, someone, an idea of the amount of detail the Memory Map has at full zoom, not enough for us.
$memorymap.JPG

DesertCruiser

Jun 4, 2013
I'm very new to this, and that's why I asked here about this. Leeshor gave me some great info, and here's what I gathered from that. The ASUS Infinity TF700 he recommended can be upgraded with memory, that could be a real plus to me with loading maps into the tablet. Some take a lot of memory, some not so much. But it'd be nice to be able to load all that I need at once. Track overlays are a must. The Asus he recommended also has a multiple processor. And the the fact that the screen can be seen in the sunlight better is a real plus, Once again thanks Leeshor you gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Now as for the maps, this is going to take a while to finalize our decision on the map APP. One thing we really liked about MemoryMap was that you could load your own maps, we still have to try that on the computer. Which is another nice feature, you work on the maps (exchanging them, adding routes, tracks waypoints,etc.) on the PC before putting into your tablet. so we have yet to try our own maps. Now this may sound picky to some, but it isn't to us, as depend on maps a lot to get into and out of remote areas in the desert. Sometimes it's a matter of survival for us. So we're still looking. Also before we can use something and recommend it on our web site it has to be fairly easy to use -- "user friendly". Nexus tablets are nice to answer the other person here, they are just too limited right now for our use.
Don....
www.in-the-desert.com/