Tablet not booting, mistakenly i removed the execute permission on System folder.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Now that your tablet is running again, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson here: NEVER attempt to modify your tablet without having a backup! All weird

With that said, you have two things to do: make a backup of the ROM using the root utility, and install ClockworkMod so you can make nandroid backups without having to connect the tablet to the PC as well.
All weird things are happing with my tablet, after installing google play successfully yesterday, I booted my tablet today and it stucked in bootup and showing ICS android startup, but nothing progressing.

I thought of taking backup today as suggested by you, but it fails in bootup. Please suggest/help me on this. Thanks, Ashok

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Even after telling you to make a backup you still insisted on tinkering with your tablet without one???

I don't tell people to do something just to get a few experience points for a post. It's because I know the pitfalls, and I've seen far too many people treat rooting as a game instead of serious business and destroy their tablets by not following directions. So, exchange your tablet for a new one. After you get it, follow the guides in Development to the letter. That includes making a system dump before you start, and making at minimum two nandroid backups if the tablet has a CWM recovery available. If you can't do that, don't root.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Even after telling you to make a backup you still insisted on tinkering with your tablet without one???

I don't tell people to do something just to get a few experience points for a post. It's because I know the pitfalls, and I've seen far too many people treat rooting as a game instead of serious business and destroy their tablets by not following directions. So, exchange your tablet for a new one. After you get it, follow the guides in Development to the letter. That includes making a system dump before you start, and making at minimum two nandroid backups if the tablet has a CWM recovery available. If you can't do that, don't root.
I agree, thought tablets is stable, so I postpond the backup activity for a day, that caused me the issue. Is there is a way to make it workable?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You agree and yet you held off? Wow. Just. Wow.

At this point, it's simply easier to start fresh. With all the tinkering you've done, there's no guarantee the tablet will ever work properly even if you do manage to get it working.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013

At this point, it's simply easier to start fresh. With all the tinkering you've done, there's no guarantee the tablet will ever work properly even if you do manage to get it working.
can you able to provide update zip file with all system default, just a kind of last try

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013

After the Permission issues, I wasn't tweaking anything, the only change I did is installed font using Rom Toolbox lite, after that I shut it down, when I booted yesterday all this issue happened. Please help me on this.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Modifying fonts using Rom Toolbox Lite is changing system files, therefore tinkering with the tablet without a backup. As to providing an update.zip, I could, but I don't have the Coby signature necessary to make the file. On top of that I believe the Coby signature is something that has to be generated and thus not transferable between ROMs. Finally, even if I did the update.zip, chances are really high that it won't work due to hardware changes on Coby's end. The entire reason we have users creating system dumps and nandroid backups of their tablets is that Coby routinely changes the hardware inside the tablet. When they change the hardware, all other firmware dumps and ROMs based off them become pretty much useless. Therefore, it's simply easier to have the tablet exchanged for a new unit then to try and play around with system dumps that likely aren't going to work.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Modifying fonts using Rom Toolbox Lite is changing system files, therefore tinkering with the tablet without a backup. As to providing an update.zip, I could, but I don't have the Coby signature necessary to make the file. On top of that I believe the Coby signature is something that has to be generated and thus not transferable between ROMs. Finally, even if I did the update.zip, chances are really high that it won't work due to hardware changes on Coby's end. The entire reason we have users creating system dumps and nandroid backups of their tablets is that Coby routinely changes the hardware inside the tablet. When they change the hardware, all other firmware dumps and ROMs based off them become pretty much useless. Therefore, it's simply easier to have the tablet exchanged for a new unit then to try and play around with system dumps that likely aren't going to work.
Sure, will initiate return. Appreciate for the detailed explanation. Thanks, Ashok

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
Some how I managed to bring my tablet back by installing the custom rom which has google play, but after that I couldn't able to download few apps from Googleplay(Netfix etc). Is there original firmware available to reset to original state. Successfully created backup and CWM the device. Please provide details steps for installing original firmware if possible.
Thanks,
Ashok

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Coby doesn't make the original firmware available for the same reason we have users make system dumps: hardware changes. Install the tweaks in my signature to improve Google Play compatibility.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Some how I managed to bring my tablet back by installing the custom rom which has google play, but after that I couldn't able to download few apps from Googleplay(Netfix etc). Is there original firmware available to reset to original state. Successfully created backup and CWM the device. Please provide details steps for installing original firmware if possible.
Thanks,
Ashok

Sounds like you used livesuite you are pretty much on your own I don't support livesuite.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You can try it, but Livesuite and ADB don't play nice. Using ADB with a LiveSuite modified tablet has been known to brick them. That is why I removed LiveSuite and the LiveSuite ROMs from all posts in the forums that contained them.

ashok_fun123

May 3, 2013
@Traveller

I installed stocked Rom from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/42314-9742-stock-custom-rom.html

Touchscreen wasn’t working, after I installing patchirl.zip provided in the same thread, touchscreen worked properly. The tablet Model is Mid9742, with Coby’s Build number

Rooted the tablet using unlockroot.com and still the model was Mid9742.

Later I installed the Googleplay tweak from your post, then Model number changed to GT-I9100 and build number is Mobiz_V.2

Am I doing something wrong here, please suggest me.

Thanks,
Ashok Update: My bad, Traveller already comment about this in the same thread.

Last edited: