Tablets as an Alternative to Kindle Fire

CalBear

Jan 19, 2014
I've had my Kindle Fire (original) for almost 2 years. I'm thinking of moving up and would like some input on alternatives. I use the Kindle to read books 80% of the time and it is great for that. However, there are times when I would like an app that is only available on Google Play. Yes, I have side loaded some into the Kindle with reasonable success but it is a bit of a pain. And I would like to use Google Drive in conjunction with my smartphone but that is impossible.

The question is, how well do other tablets do as e-readers? The Kindle Reader for Android seems like a good app but is the quality for reading on various tablets as good as on the Kindle?

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I've never compared another tablet to a Fire, but there really shouldn't be much difference for books. The way you access Amazon video might be different though.

Personally, if I was doing a lot of Kindle book reading, I would get an e-ink device and use the tablet for a backup.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am not a reader myself, have never read 1 complete book. But in my opinion, I doubt a tablet would be equal to a kindle fire, as it main purpose is for readers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
I use a Kindle ap on my Slate 7 tablet. It works well. I am also able to use it to read PDF files which don't work well on the Kindle. On the other hand, the Kindle Fire is just an Android tablet. You ought to be able to access Google play on it by going to the internet.

logdog

May 12, 2013
I read at least a couple of hours a day on my Nexus 7. I have the Kindle app and the Nook app. Both work well although I prefer to convert my books and read using the Aldiko app. I've never had a Kindle but I have had several Nooks and much prefer the Nexus. Of course, the Nexus has both Google Play and Amazon app store.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think my lady has picked up her Nook Simple Touch (E-ink) since I got her a Coby 9742; she reads maybe two novels a day. She usually uses the Kindle app.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm also using Aldico on my Nexus 7 and it works very nicely as an e-reader.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I thought that Aldico didn't handle PDF files very well. And, books with pictures were doomed. Lucky for me, a poster on another forum suggested Moon+ Reader (free!). Personally, I find it to be a much better app that covers all the basics. Now, if I could only convince the developer to add another font, other than Helvetica.