The Near Future Will Bring About Wireless Tech that is 1,000 Times Faster than 4G

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
cell-tower-3g-4g.jpg

It's almost frightening how quickly technology advances sometimes. Here's a case in point: a couple of times last year, we did a story on newer more advanced wireless tech called, Advanced LTE. With Advanced LTE currently in testing we have seen that within the next couple of years we could see wireless data connections that hit 600-900 Mbps. To put it in perspective, that is about 15-20 times faster than our current fastest speeds on 4G LTE. However, a new breakthrough in wireless technology has just been achieved by a team of researchers at the University of Pittsburgh that could make even those speeds obsolete in a very short time. Hrvoje Petek, a physics and chemistry professor at the University of Pittsburgh in charge of the research has recently had a breakthrough in which wireless internet bandwidth could be 1,000 times faster than current 4G LTE!

Current technology transmits data in the gigahertz frequency; however Petek's team has been able to theoretically transfer information in the terahertz frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum. Here's a quote from the BGR article with some more details,

Petek’s discovery of “a physical basis for terahertz bandwidth” could potentially be used to leverage the “portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwave light” and transmit data at rates 1,000 times faster than today’s wireless standards, which are limited to the gigahertz frequency. “The ability to modulate light with such a bandwidth could increase the amount of information carried by more than 1,000 times when compared to the volume carried with today’s technologies,” Petek said. “Needless to say, this has been a long-awaited discovery in the field.”

There's an interesting bit of information on the fringe of the story that is even more mind-boggling. Supposedly, Petek and his team expected to hit the 15.6 THz in their experiments, using just traditional silicon; however, the team is actually aiming much higher than that by studying coherent oscillation of electrons. They believe that they will eventually be able to achieve wireless spectrum speeds in the petahertz frequency range by harnessing "light-matter interactions". With the right materials, they could leap-frog this new breakthrough and achieve speeds 1,000 times faster than their newest breakthrough! If you are doing the simple math, this means that it is possible within our lifetime, we will see internet data speeds 1 Million times faster than our current tech. Hmmm... Speculate on this. The philosophical potentialities are endless!

Source: BGR

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
But how much is it going to cost and what are the caps on the plans? Oops, I just down loaded every movie and tv show ever made in 2 seconds... this is going to be a big bill(ion).

:D

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
If you downloaded already all the movies and TV shows in2 second, whatever the cost is only one time cost,after that you can go back to 4g! :)

Samsung Galaxy Note

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you downloaded already all the movies and TV shows in2 second, whatever the cost is only one time cost,after that you can go back to 4g! :)

Samsung Galaxy Note

So you have billions of $ to pay for all that data? In that case let me introduce myself... I'm JP nice to meet you ;)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
....6 bikes,always on a trip around the world, I thought you could afford to pay such a bill!:D

Samsung Galaxy Note

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
....6 bikes,always on a trip around the world,...

Don't know the story, but that's my kind of guy. :)

Bikes as in, bicycles - not Oil Burners, I hope?

Got a little collection myself, I love the pure lines and quality of Classic sports bikes. And I am into Touring (by bicycle) as well. ;)

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
this all sounds good, but a true revolution will happen when wireless electricity will be invented!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Oil burners every one.

Oooh, I see. A lot easier to travel around with oil power. :)

Tesla is rumoured to have done some work in the wireless power transmission. Very expensive and complicated work.

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Tesla is rumoured to have done some work in the wireless power transmission. Very expensive and complicated work.

He did indeed. That was his last major project before he died. JP Morgan sponsored a lot of his work but withdrew sponsorship from this project so Tesla was never able to complete it.

A few theories exist why the funding was withdrawn, from the idea that JP Morgan didn't see any money in it, to the possible fact that this invention would compromise JP Morgan's large investments into existing electricity grids & copper production.

Whats amazing is that this took place a 100 years ago and still nobody has been able to get close to Tesla's creations...talk about a man ahead of his time!