Thinking of Getting the Acer Iconia 500 But...

jak

Jul 31, 2011
I have not rooted mine. I think main reason for rooting the a500 is to get Netflix steaming to work. I've not seen any other compelling reason to root it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Why did YOU root your Coby? The reason you rooted your Coby is probably the same you'd want to root your A500. I haven't felt the need to root my Samsung Galaxy S, SII, and now Acer A500. It's nicely running Android 3.1, it's rock stable, it doesn what I need it to do. No need to root it, for me, in my day to day use.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Acer A500 with the default Acer firmware has the market. Unless something is really wrong in your country. :) You don't need to root.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
The experience you gained with the POS will only help you with a real one.
I worked with trying to make two different POS machines work right before seeing the light and getting a real one.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I rooted the Coby to get market access, that was the only reason.

like ggravier said you don't need to root the A500 - the market is std feature. I've run a variety of apps on mine that were not ACER issue. Even most android phone apps work.

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
Well I have decided on going for the A100 the 7" Acer, was hoping to nail one down at Best Buy on the Black Friday sale, but they sold out quick! As far as the Coby being a POS, I don't quite agree with that. It's given me good service, rarely locks up... pretty much everything I want from the market works on it. I just want something quicker with more storage. I hope the A100 will work with my keyboard case that the Coby is in.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
Rooting is very easy like they said, my main reason for rooting was to use titanium backup, and for the fact that I own it and should get to do with it what I please even if it is a a brick or security risk.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Do you do your jousts with your tablet. A500 with 2 cracked screens and another make with damage?

Ouch!