To Buy or Not to Buy???

krisde10

Oct 4, 2011
I was all set to go and buy the sony tablet s tomorrow but after visiting this website i have started to change my mind a little.
My understanding from the micro usb port they have is that i would be able to plug in my 1 terabyte external hard drive and look at all my photos, play all my music and most of all watch all my stored movies.

I work offshore and need a device that i can do all of the above while i am travelling and also at work. Can anyone clarify if the above is true or am i wasting my time with a tablet and be better suited with a smaller laptop???

Thanks in advance

Kris

HiTechRedNeck

Oct 5, 2011
I don't have the adapter yet, so I can't tell you that it works for sure... but I seen a youtube video that shows a regular USB drive being pluged in and was able to access the contents just fine... I do know that they also tried to plug in a USB hub and it worked as well...

I know from searching around in my own tablet S that (if you're familiar with linux), the /mnt directory has /mnt/usbdisk1 through /mnt/usbdisk8... which suggests it can handle up to 8 USB drives at once... in the same video, they were showing off the logitech rumble game pad working in that same port for the PlayStation1 & 2 games that will be available in the near future...

IMO, this unit will fit your bill...

for reference... the video I'm talking about...
(logitech rumblepad)

(usb drives)

Last edited by a moderator:

krisde10

Oct 4, 2011
thanks for ur reply. I have already bought the tablet and my 1tb hard drive does not work with it!!! from reading some other forums I need a smaller hd as tablet wont powe external drive ??? really dissapointed as thought I could access all my music, films etc!! im really reluctant to buy a sd card but looks like the only option!!!

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
thanks for ur reply. I have already bought the tablet and my 1tb hard drive does not work with it!!! from reading some other forums I need a smaller hd as tablet wont powe external drive ??? really dissapointed as thought I could access all my music, films etc!! im really reluctant to buy a sd card but looks like the only option!!!

I just picked up my Sony Tablet, I have an External HD that has its own power source, works just fine.

Last edited:

giorgiogr

Oct 6, 2011
no. buying an SD card is not an option either, you have to transfer files to the tablet before you can use them (I'm disappointed for this too)

SilverEye

Oct 8, 2011
no. buying an SD card is not an option either, you have to transfer files to the tablet before you can use them (I'm disappointed for this too)

You dont have to transfer the files to the tablet to open them.. I use mmy sd card all the time to watch movies and read magazines.. and if u have big sd cards like 128 gb or more if u format them in fat32 and use filemanager hd, they are perfectably usable..

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

krisde10

Oct 4, 2011
You dont have to transfer the files to the tablet to open them.. I use mmy sd card all the time to watch movies and read magazines.. and if u have big sd cards like 128 gb or more if u format them in fat32 and use filemanager hd, they are perfectably usable..

I have a 1tb drive and tablet not recognising it!!! any ideas???

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011

Hey can you explain how to find the files on the SD card?? I re formatted my SD Card as yo said and downloaded FileManager HD but either I am blind or I cant seem to find the SD card files in the running app...

Thanks

SilverEye

Oct 8, 2011
Hey can you explain how to find the files on the SD card?? I re formatted my SD Card as yo said and downloaded FileManager HD but either I am blind or I cant seem to find the SD card files in the running app...

Thanks

Well, in my tab, opening the hd manager, I just have to press up ( located on the top right) and appears the folder sdcard2.. all my files are inside that folder... u can see if u are in the correct place as well, looking to the lower right corner, where it has to show ' /mnt '. (this is the name of the folder where u are...).

hope it helps!

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
Well, in my tab, opening the hd manager, I just have to press up ( located on the top right) and appears the folder sdcard2.. all my files are inside that folder... u can see if u are in the correct place as well, looking to the lower right corner, where it has to show ' /mnt '. (this is the name of the folder where u are...).

hope it helps!

Thanks thats all I had to do, totally new to the Tablet thing and I would have never thought to click the "UP"..
Found my files..

Thanks again :cool:

wiriamuzi

Oct 11, 2011
Just Pre-order mine in Singapore a 32GB version. The official release date is on the 22nd. Hopefully can get this earlier !!!

I usually store all my musics and videos on a portable hdd or my windows 7 laptop. Saw alot of posts that tablet may not support the portable hdd. Not sure what are the other options to transfer musics and videos to the tablet.