Tutorial - Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP and Root Your Nexus 7 (2013)

Music

Feb 5, 2011
hat does FLO and TWRP refer to? Insn't it enough to just root the device? I assume that it's at least safe to root it, as it's not a hacked (customized) version of Android as the Huawei tablets use.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
What does FLO and TWRP refer to?

According to Google,

N7 FLO is the code name for the Google Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi, 2013 version) and TWRP is a custom recovery app requiring root access.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks Spider,

You need a dictionary to identify what's what lately, instead of a numeric list. Cars seem to be going the opposite way; they used to use names like Mustang and Zphyr, now cars go by numbers like 9-5.

You can't just root aymore. Now you have to unlock, root, reload, flash. reflash, quick-bootload, and what else? If it was so important, you'd think Google would have done it for you already :D

Can't you just root the thing and leave it at that?

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Can't you just root the thing and leave it at that?

I suppose you could, but IMHO the point of the whole thing was to get apps requiring root like TWRP installed.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
The Nexus 7/2 is indeed a very well-made tablet. Google really put the development work into it so it would work well, especially compared to my old Huawei S7 which would crash almost bi-weekly, and finally bricked itself. Its only good features were the removable battery and the micro card slot.

the Nexus 7/2 seems to be most idyllic 7 inch tablet you could get. the only thing it lacks, IMO, is the capability for OTG USB devices.

Since I have just about every application I can think of, I don't have a need for rooting, besides the expanding of memory capacity, so until there us a micro card interface with a charge port, I will have to do with the 32 GB total memory capacity.

Have you looked into the WiFi flash drives?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Since I have just about every application I can think of, I don't have a need for rooting

I'm in the same position and have no intention to root at this time.

Have you looked into the WiFi flash drives?

I haven't even dented the device storage, so there's no need for flash drives. The few things I wanted to keep off the device are in dropbox and cloud storage.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Mine seems to be getting close to 1/2 full (~17GB is available of the 26 GB total) the Android OS seems to be quite sizeable! I suppose the next model will have 64 GB of memory? (or more!)

It's good that we discuss the use of rooting now, besides all the usual or obvious reasons, so people can be ready and know how to do it right.

Last edited: