U.S. Justice Department Files Complaint to Block Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
att-fcc-tmobile-merger1.jpg

In a surprising twist, the U.S. Department of Justice has filed a complaint to block the sale of T-Mobile to AT&T for $39 Billion. The complaint was filed today in a federal court in Washington D.C. The Justice Department complaint indicated, “AT&T’s elimination of T-Mobile as an independent, low- priced rival would remove a significant competitive force from the market.” The U.S. also said in its filing that the deal would “substantially lessen competition” in the wireless market. Additionally, the Bloomberg article also shared the following,
Should regulators reject the transaction, AT&T would pay Deutsche Telekom $3 billion in cash. It would also provide T-Mobile with wireless spectrum in some regions and reduced charges for calls into AT&T’s network, for a total package valued at as much as $7 billion, Deutsche Telekom said this month.
It is looking grim for the AT&T/T-Mobile merger, and AT&T's stocks are taking a beating because of it. At the time of the Bloomberg article, AT&T shares dropped 96 cents to $28.66.

Thanks to our tipster, pbrauer!

Source: Android.net via Bloomberg

Last edited:

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
JD power and assoc. rated AT&T as the worst carrier in the U.S., if T Mobile will help improve their service quality, then I am all for it... I do not understand why they are blocking the merger. When GM and it's cohorts were buying up and closing down our mass transit system in the 50s and 60s, the gov't did nothing. Now we are bailing out the scoundrels, go figure!!?? :mad:

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

Jun 29, 2011
I'm old enough to remember the first time ATT and anti trust were synonymous

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
After further though of the matter. At&T is unable to handle their present holdings, what makes them think this merger will improve anything. The consumer will suffer from such a merger. It will be another corporation too big to fail.