Un-Rooting / Resetting / Returning to Stock

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I've seen a few people ask about it, and because I had to do this myself a couple days back so I could return to stock, I made this quick link-list. Yes, it is in another post, but I figure it might be too hidden. So here it is in all its glory.

1. Get Android SDK & the official Acer USB Drivers Android SDK | Android Developers Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Tablet / ICONIA TAB / A700

2. Unlock the bootloader: Unlock bootloader - xda-developers

3. Install Clockwork Recovery: CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0 for A700 - xda-developers
- I had to install this recovery.img using the BAT file from this post. IMPORTANT! DO NOT INSTALL THE recovery.img FROM THAT LINK! It will brick you. Replace it with the one from the thread above (6.0.1.0).

4. Download the appropriate ROM for your device. You'll want the first CUS1 as it is 1.0.29: A700 & A701 ROMS list - xda-developers

5. Follow the directions in this link. If you can't get update.zip to run from an external SD (I couldn't) then try it from the root directory of your internal SD (I just noticed the post was updated after I messaged him). [GUIDE] Updating A700 while rooted! revised: 8/4/12, bonus for USA tab owners - xda-developers

After you've done it all, be sure to choose "NO" when you reboot the system from CWM, otherwise CWM is still going to be there and you're probably going to be unable to get future updates.

It took me about two hours to figure all this out, and in the end my bootloader was relocked, my root was unrooted, and I was on stock 1.0.29 and able to get the update.

OMIGHTY1

Oct 28, 2013
When I try to install the update.zip (using ubuntu for Fastboot), it sits at "sending 'update' (341483 KB)." While it sits there, the tablet screen stays on the Acer boot screen, with everything on the screen sort of blinking. It's been sitting here for about a half hour, and nothing has happened. What's going on?

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I have noticed the A700 is a bit finicky when it comes to pretty much any functionality through the SDK tools. Have you tried placing the file onto your microSD card? I hear anything under 16GB seems to do okay in CWM. Have you tried "adb sideload update.zip"? "adb push update.zip /sdcard/0/"? I suppose you can substitute fastboot for adb.