upgrade to 3.2

bigart

Dec 31, 2011
hi all
im new to tablets but not to computers.

does anyone know if the tc970 w/ 2.2 can/will be upgradeable to 3.2. If so when and how can it be done?

im a sucker for latest and greatest.

Art

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
From everything I've heard, the TC970 is stuck at 2.2. Unfortunate, but it's basically a budget tablet - even if they could upgrade the OS, they seem to be devoting their resources to the Le Pan II.

Good luck with the rest of us dinosaurs, and return soon if that's a big turn off for you.

dctab

Sep 26, 2010
Le Pan told me that the TC 9-70 is unfortunately NOT upgradeable.

Sent from my TC970 (Wi-Fi) using Android Tablet Forum

LePan_Fan

Jan 12, 2012

I'm wondering if this is true or a bunch of baloney...They had been telling owners that the upgrade would be coming, and they were going to skip Gingerbread and Honeycomb and the upgrade would be ICS, and then they turn around and say that there will be no upgrade.....right around the time that the Le Pan II is announced....coincidence? I think that they realized that if ICS was available on the TC970 it would steal sales from the newer (and more expensive) LePan II.

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
A custom 2.3 ROM would be very doable for someone with the time and experience. Unfortunately, I have neither.

dctab

Sep 26, 2010

I'm wondering if this is true or a bunch of baloney...They had been telling owners that the upgrade would be coming, and they were going to skip Gingerbread and Honeycomb and the upgrade would be ICS, and then they turn around and say that there will be no upgrade.....right around the time that the Le Pan II is announced....coincidence? I think that they realized that if ICS was available on the TC970 it would steal sales from the newer (and more expensive) LePan II.

I don't know, but clearly lepan isn't going to provide the upgrade. So even if it is technically possible, is there anyone with both the expertise and the time who will?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012

I think this is true only so far as Le Pan is concerned. It should be possible to root the unit and then install a new ROM on it. CM9 is apparently looking good for some tablets. If CM9 is like CM7 (for phones) then it may also work well on different tablets.
I don't own a Le Pan TC970 but I have no doubts that it is updateable. I think Le Pan is just taking the SONY tactic. Release a unit, then sell another slightly better a few months later, and then again a few months later. Sony made Billions doing this because people kept buying the newest thing.
They were selling the first radio only walk man here in the US when they were selling the Radio/CD players over in Japan, that's how far behind the US was in sales.

I don't remember where I saw it, it may have been here somewhere but the CM team is working on CM9 for tablets, so if your really interested in a updated ROM for this tablet do a search for CM9.
And by the way, CM9 is IceCreamSandwich.
I would bet a pay check that ICS would run fine on these tablets, you may have to do without some of the flash and fancy, but I believe it can otherwise run on these without issue.

This is the article I read about CM9, http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...hopes-to-give-us-something-to-play-with-soon/
CM7 as a phone ROM seems to run several different different phones in its native state, CM9 may work the same way.
Here is the video from the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Androidphonefan, yes, the Le Pan TC970 is rootable, pretty easily too. There's a thread at XDa developers with the details and tools you need - I did it this weekend, and am enjoying the options you open with rooting.

There's a group at XDA trying to get some option, and a version of CWM is in alpha testing phase. From what I read, CM7 should be doable, maybe even CM9 someday.

Le Pan has a split personality, while the Tech Support seems to be quite good, they are apart from the manufacturing team; things as simple as Changelogs for firmware updates are not available even.

Development is based on their facilities in China, near Hog Kong; support, I would guess might be located in the USA.

Word about the LPII is that rooting it is pretty difficult, people are trying, but it's locked tight, specially after the LPI adb drivers leaked, allowing rooting for that model.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
This is tip help you upgrade your le pan tablet.
Le Pan TC 970 Upgrade Adroid 3.2

No, that page is out to lunch, unfortunately.

What they are describing is a firmware update, the file linked in their post is :

Code:
http://lepantablet.com/goto/http://www.supportsyncfiles.com/lepan/firmware/Firmware_4626_LePan_TC970.zip

^^----- The is really odd, but will redirect you to the Support area at Le Pan itself, the manufacturer. And it will dowload the 4626 version of their firmware. The latest one out, officially released, but running Android 2.2 Froyo, as Le Pan refuses to provide users with any upgrade path.

You want a better alternative? Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread is now in Beta. See this thread. ;)

Dec 30, 2011
Go watch this, i put up a video of cm7 on my le pan tablet

Last edited by a moderator:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Bolsa - that page is a scam.

The procedure described (I read from Google Cache as the site is not even online for me) is how to load factory firmware. There's no factory firmware supporting anything other than Android 2.2 Froyo. So, no 3.2 for you this way. Ignore it.

HEROTHUY

Jan 18, 2012
@yann2: They told "we will update all information related to the upgrade version of the Le Pan tablet"
I think that is a guide updated and they will update the latest version when it available in that topic