USB 3g key modem for Iconia A500

Mirjana

Aug 2, 2011
Hello, is it possible and _how_ to use the USB key 3g modem ? The technical support of the provider, Videotron, says it is not possible - but they also say they do not know for sure, A500 is not among their usual products... so, do you guys use mobile Internet key for Iconia? And how do you manage to get it to work?

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No one here has reported getting any USB modem to work on any Android device.

If they don't know, they should loan you one to test with. Yeah, go with that, heck, they might even fall for it. ;-).

Mirjana

Aug 2, 2011
That's what I did: took one to test, and have 30 days to return; the service cost 6$ on top of my usual internet service; if in the weeks that come there is no solution to make it work, I'll return the key :-*(

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
This USB modems need their own software or drivers to run; as far as I know and by reading a series of threads, there aren't any drivers for the to work on Android.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
I was asking the same thing for a VZ modem and no way to get it to work as of yet. Good luck.

Mirjana

Aug 2, 2011
So, the ball is in who's court now: the usb modem's author or Android ? In the case of Skype video not running on Android, it was solved by Skype's update of software few weeks back. Where should the pressure be applied in order to have modem work on Android?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
So, the ball is in who's court now: the usb modem's author or Android ? In the case of Skype video not running on Android, it was solved by Skype's update of software few weeks back. Where should the pressure be applied in order to have modem work on Android?
The maker of the modem I would say - they probably haven't got SDK rights from Google. They should "bite the bullet" and realise that there could be a demand for their product if they did. I think they're called XDA DEVELOPERS - the group of developers that release apps and so forth for ANDROID.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
More tlhan two years later,same question,any dev. on this front yet?

Some users have claimed to be able to get their USB 3G MODEMS to work. By the same token, an USB WiFi stick should work as well and I tried 2 different sticks on 2 different tablets and they do not work. Some claim that you need to root your tablet. I've even seen some posts even suggesting that you need to root the tablet to be able to tether to a smartphone (maybe true for early versions of Android, ie., before HONEYCOMB) which i not true for A500.