USB Host Mode & OTG Cable

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Please explain why you say "a reboot sounds normal" are you responding to a specific item in jajones82 list or what?

A reboot is the correct response for a Linux kernel panic, dumping applications and freezing isn't. Simply means this action caused a kernel level panic, the correct response is to reboot.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
I want to add a little info here about hot plugging a usb device. There are no specs that I can find that should allow you to treat otg on-the-go usb in any other way than a normal usb hub. Here is a simple wiki USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If there are white papers somewhere that says different I would like to read it.
Anyway, what this tells me is that hot plugging a usb thumb drive on otg android is not a good practice just like any other computer in the world. What is allowed by the new otg is hot plugging and swapping of Other devices such as keyboards, mice etc..... I would be very leery of yanking out a thumb drive without dismounting it first. After all, smarter people than me have programmed a special setting to unmount the usb drive before you remove it, there must be a reason.
I am now considering that the apapter cables might make a difference in conjunction with some change in the new update to the Lenovo Android OS.
Let me know what you guys find out.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I want to add a little info here about hot plugging a usb device. There are no specs that I can find that should allow you to treat otg on-the-go usb in any other way than a normal usb hub. Here is a simple wiki USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If there are white papers somewhere that says different I would like to read it.
Anyway, what this tells me is that hot plugging a usb thumb drive on otg android is not a good practice just like any other computer in the world. What is allowed by the new otg is hot plugging and swapping of Other devices such as keyboards, mice etc..... I would be very leery of yanking out a thumb drive without dismounting it first. After all, smarter people than me have programmed a special setting to unmount the usb drive before you remove it, there must be a reason.
I am now considering that the apapter cables might make a difference in conjunction with some change in the new update to the Lenovo Android OS.
Let me know what you guys find out.

It is your device use it how you like, I use mine How I like simple as that. I will continue hot swapping.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
It is your device use it how you like, I use mine How I like simple as that. I will continue hot swapping.
yea dude, it was not a personal strike against you. I feel like you take this way too personal, I am just trying to keep someone from screwing up there nand.
The only reason I brought it up and looked into it stemmed from a photo copy I did where ES explore said the copy was complete while the light on the usb drive blinked on for a couple more minutes. I further tested this with 500 pics and yanked the drive out when es said copy was over and there where only about 1/4 pictures copied.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
yea dude, it was not a personal strike against you. I feel like you take this way too personal, I am just trying to keep someone from screwing up there nand.
The only reason I brought it up and looked into it stemmed from a photo copy I did where ES explore said the copy was complete while the light on the usb drive blinked on for a couple more minutes. I further tested this with 500 pics and yanked the drive out when es said copy was over and there where only about 1/4 pictures copied.

Not a problem I have been using Linux and android for a long time, and have never damaged anything, I will use my device the way I have for years, you use yours the way you want, nothing personal. if someone screws up their nand over a sdcard or OTG cable clearly they aren't hot swapping, they are formatting their nand.
again not a problem.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
Not a problem I have been using Linux and android for a long time, and have never damaged anything, I will use my device the way I have for years, you use yours the way you want, nothing personal. if someone screws up their nand over a sdcard or OTG cable clearly they aren't hot swapping, they are formatting their nand.
again not a problem.

I guess maybe I do not understand memory and file systems, so interrupting a file transfer in android does not have any effect? In Linux we have a journal file system that can rebuild some files if they are not written to disk in advent of power failure. This would be a completely different problem than having someone yank out the drive (copy device) while it was in the middle of a write to the nand memory. Is there some way that Android OS looks ahead and figures this out and copies this stuff ahead of time? Seems unlikely. Ok, java has a garbage collection system and the firmware is pretty resistant to memory write interuptions but still.

Anyway we can all treat our devices as we like, that is good. Spreading bad information that might screw up some other peoples devices, that is bad.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I guess maybe I do not understand memory and file systems, so interrupting a file transfer in android does not have any effect? In Linux we have a journal file system that can rebuild some files if they are not written to disk in advent of power failure. This would be a completely different problem than having someone yank out the drive (copy device) while it was in the middle of a write to the nand memory. Is there some way that Android OS looks ahead and figures this out and copies this stuff ahead of time? Seems unlikely. Ok, java has a garbage collection system and the firmware is pretty resistant to memory write interuptions but still.

Anyway we can all treat our devices as we like, that is good. Spreading bad information that might screw up some other peoples devices, that is bad.

You simple feel you are right and anything that difference from your view is bad, that is sad, real sad, we have nothing further to talk about, close minded people are just horrible people. you are only correct in that you don't understand memory, or at least I will agree with you that you don't know, beyond that we can only agree to disagree.

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
haha, you so are so funny. You took this to a totally personal thing. All I say is people beware of yanking out your usb drive. You have some insight to the opposite (with facts) I would welcome a conversation with you.

Last edited:

tnewc

Feb 7, 2013
Wow! How long have you two been married? I'm interested in finding an OTG USB cable. Trying to copy videos from my Canon camera to my A2109A. Someone wrote about using an OTG USB cable but not finding one. Help?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I am not seeing any problems, why are you unmounting the usb to begin with? I always treat them as hot swap, never unmount them just unplug them. If using file manger close the file manager before unplugging.

This I have to disagree with, I've lost almost a whole 3 gigs worth of files of various types doing a hot swap.
While a Usb stick is Plug and Play the information on that stick is not.
IF your tablet just like any other computer happens to be using one or more of the files on that stick and you unplug it without first unmounting it, There is a VERY GOOD Chance that one or more files will become corrupted and unuseable.

I got lucky and found most of what I'd lost, But next time I may not be able to recover from it as clean as I did that one time.
My advice is don't Risk It always unmount it first.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This I have to disagree with, I've lost almost a whole 3 gigs worth of files of various types doing a hot swap.
While a Usb stick is Plug and Play the information on that stick is not.
IF your tablet just like any other computer happens to be using one or more of the files on that stick and you unplug it without first unmounting it, There is a VERY GOOD Chance that one or more files will become corrupted and unuseable.

I got lucky and found most of what I'd lost, But next time I may not be able to recover from it as clean as I did that one time.
My advice is don't Risk It always unmount it first.

Not a problem, I care more for the tablet then I do the flash drive, but if you would rather risk damaging the tablet to save that flash drive that's up to you.

Last edited: