Virus Attack

Jan 13, 2015
virus attack

first let me exlain- i do not have direct, at home internet access. i have an old dell-pc, windows premium home vista, which is fine for my limited needs. i go to the library, which gives me an hour a day, and i can save to usb. then i got a proscan plt7100g, pl-bt-8gb-k. the library has wi-fi.

PROSCAN BLUETOOTH 3.0 INTERNET TABLET, WITH CASE & KEYBOARD,
ANDROID 4.4 KIT KAT, 1.0 GHZ ROCKCHIP 3026 DUAL CORE, NAND FLASH 8 GB
UPGRADES TO 32, 512 MB DOR3, 7" CAPACITIVE TOUCH SCREEN, 802.11 B/G/N WI-FI,
3D G SENSOR, 3.5MM HEADPHONE JACK, MICRO USB 2.0 PORT

i also got a 32GB memory card for it. between the 2 they took up most of my spending money, i need free apps as much as i can.

generally i use my library time to email, facebook, ebay, etc. i bring home files and download to the pc. i know how to do this with a usb adequately, but now i am using my android. i would also like to get some abandon-ware games. is this best on usb, or can i use my android? i guess this requires zip-files, this would be new to me.

i had more tech knowledgeable people put apps in, speed-reading and so on. are there any apps to make the proscan run faster, more conventiently? i am so used to my home computer i still have to struggle with the other.

the other day i was surfing, suddenly i got a virus alert pop up. this was the first time and i got confused. the pop-up said to click on this security app. i almost did, then wondered if the ad itself was a scam. i started to install it, it took me to my gmail account and wanted my paypal password. the ad said it was from something like, "all-in-one", and it said it was free. i shut off my tablet, figured i would deal with it later.

today i went to the library, i cannot log on to the net with it anymore. the apps i already have on it work, the files are ok, but now i am in the catch-22 of not being able to go on the net, to get the app that would allow me to get on the net and get an app to remove the problem.

if i have to re-boot the whole thing, i guess it will be ok, but is there any way to avoid it? if i do, what sort of security apps do i want on it to make sure it will never happen again? can you recommend a good app a newbie needs for his first year using it?

also, it is still under warranty. if i send it back, and explain what the problem is, will i get a free-tune/up-grade? or will i spend $30, to have them send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it?

thanks to everyone who gives me advice on any of the problems and how-toos mentioned.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You're in a tough spot. Either you find the app you installed that caused the problem and uninstall it or do a factory reset. You don't have a lot of options.

Jan 13, 2015
1that's ok, i heard about having a re-boot eventually. would sending it back to the factory do any good? really, this is my first, i am not sure if the battery is as good as it should be. i will be glad for any improvement.
2 what apps should i get for security, and to make it run fast and smooth?
thanks, sorry i took a while to reply. i thought i would get an email when there was a reply.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
A factory reset doesn't require that you send it to the factory. Maybe I'm not understanding 100%

For security you must first get it running properly.

Jan 13, 2015
A factory reset doesn't require that you send it to the factory. Maybe I'm not understanding 100%

For security you must first get it running properly.
sorry, what i meant was that the tablet is still under warranty. would it be a good idea to send it back to the factory to fix anything they might find wrong with it? i may have abused the battery, get it replaced? something like that?
i will have only one chance to get it fixed for free.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If a factory reset doesn't solve the problem then send it in. You would want to do that before you sent it in anyway. If you send it in and they factory reset it and it starts working they may charge you as something like that is NOT a warranty issue.

Jan 13, 2015
Hi Brandon, to do a factory reset: How Do I "Factory Reset" My Tablet? | Android Tablet Forum

If there are no instructions there specifically for your tablet, try some of the methods for other tablets. One of them will probably work and you won't hurt anything by trying.
ok, but what i am trying to find out is if there is a HARDWARE problem also? is there any test for it? it always seems a little slow. bad antennae? and i may have let the battery go to low and be damaged.also, when i am done with the reset, what apps should i put on to make sure this doesn't happen again. what free security app or apps? also, i saw some "clean sweep", that is supposed to make it run faster. what should i install to it, as a complete newbie , then i will wonder about advanced features/options? thanks, BA

Jan 13, 2015
thanks! when i clicked on ccleaner i also got a few more apps offered, that clean sweep i mentioned, the one with the brush icon. i also saw "du speed booster". do i have to worry about having multiple virus apps. they don't interfere with each other? what other apps do you know of that just make it EASIER to use, that maximize the hardware and so on?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Those others you mentioned, clean sweep in particular, all do the same thing and none are anti virus apps. They are intended to clean up cache and find files you may have missed that can be deleted. But you should never have had those suggestions if you didn't already have some adware or something else that shouldn't be there.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
thanks! when i clicked on ccleaner i also got a few more apps offered, that clean sweep i mentioned, the one with the brush icon. i also saw "du speed booster". do i have to worry about having multiple virus apps. they don't interfere with each other? what other apps do you know of that just make it EASIER to use, that maximize the hardware and so on?

I wouldn't recommend more than 1 antivirus or cleaner, and the ones I listed are the ones I'm using on my own tablets.

Unfortunately, the tablet you bought is the tablet you have. There is no magic app that will turn it into a better/faster one.

Jan 13, 2015
Try running Malwarebytes for Android.
question, when i reboot it, what apps should i get? i know i can type in "best apps" and get a hundred recommendations, but if i decided to install 10, no more or less, until i really got the hang of it, what should they be. if i need a dozen or more, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. or try it this way. if you gave someone , a newbie, a tablet as a gift, what would be on it to make sure they didn't throw it away a week later in frustration.? thanks, BA

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I made a suggestion for a app you should install that you responded to. That's the only app I can suggest unless you have a specific need or want for some other purpose.

If you can get that problem solved, (before doing anything else) install AVG anti virus.