Vizio Co-Star

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Watch out Roku and Apple TV. Vizio is coming out with their own media box running GoogleTV. Priced for Preorder at $99.99

$costar-back-view.png
As you can see it has in Input and Out HDMI connection. It allows you to merge live TV, web, and apps into one interface. Ethernet and USB plus built in WIFI and Bluetooth.

$remote-front.png$remote-backview.jpg
Remote include a trackpad and shortcut buttons to the most popular features. A Full QWERY keyboard is included on the back of the remote.

$phone-tablet.png
It also works with a remote app for phone or tablet.

Tech Specs

Networking
WiFi:
Yes, 802.11n/g/b
Ethernet:
10/100Mbps
Bluetooth®:
Yes

Video
Resolution supported:
720p, 1080i, 1080p
3D support:
Yes
Video playback:
H.264, MP4, MKV
TV compatibility:
Any high-definition TV with HDMI port

Audio
Music playback:
MP3, AAC, WMA
Audio Features:
Up to 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Remote
Name:
Universal touchpad remote with keyboard
Universal:
Yes
Bluetooth:
Yes
Keyboard:
Yes
Touchpad:
Yes

Last edited:

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
I will get one, just on price alone. If it works out, YAY for me. If not, I aint out too much. I should be able to just plug in my data drive from my older WD TV Live.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now this is really interesting and something I would expect to see out of Vizio. If they can combine their tv smarts and make a unique tablet or system of devices that plays to that strength we could really see some cools stuff from Vizio. Please Vizio, don't forget about the software and put out a killer tablet remote app. :)

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Sorry J515OP, it uses the Google TV Remote APP , not a Vizio specific remote app. The app should work with any boxes that run the google TV software, not just Vizio's new box. The remote that comes with the CoStar looks pretty awesome, I haven't seen many remotes out there that come with a trackpad.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry J515OP, it uses the Google TV Remote APP , not a Vizio specific remote app. The app should work with any boxes that run the google TV software, not just Vizio's new box. The remote that comes with the CoStar looks pretty awesome, I haven't seen many remotes out there that come with a trackpad.

I just meant that Vizio should make a killer remote app. It seems the demand is there and they are the type of company that could do it if they wanted.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Yes, it would be awesome if they made a killer app. Lets just hope it is included in the ICS update!

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012

Thanks for your post and it looks interesting but what I got a kick out of seeing was a tablet with two home buttons and two menu buttons where the buttons on the bottom of the tablet are in reality completely disabled.

Man, I wish I could use those buttons on the bottom of the tablet again and be able to use the entire screen for youtube videos that playback in 4x3 because I hate seeing a thick black border on 3 sides of those videos.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, that is a bummer. Funny enough some of the top phone manufacturers have insisted on using dedicated capacitive hardware buttons despite ICS soft button support on even the newest phones. On the other hand Vizio already had the hardware and decided to disable what was already there and other companies perceive as a good way to go. Fortunately this is only a software update away. Let's hope Vizio is still reading and might put the buttons back someday. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it :eek: