Want To Update To Jelly Bean

Status
Not open for further replies.

5am

Mar 22, 2013
Hi,

I want to upgrade my tab2 to run on jelly bean how do i go about this?

My tab 2 says that its up to date and so does Keis.

How do i upgrade to jelly bean?

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I would wait until Samsung is ready to push out the real thing. Check on the status now and then by going into settings then about and check for firmware updates. It will come. Wen in that about area, what version does it say you have now?

5am

Mar 22, 2013
It says I have vesion 4.1.1
?
How comes some people have access to the jelly bean update and others not?

Feb 26, 2013
Samsung Firmware updates are released by region so the update is not released in your region yet in order to update via kies.. It is possible to download the firmware which has been released in other regions (someone must have uploaded it online) and flash it on your tablet manually, but at your own risk!

Regards
TechBalloon365

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It says I have vesion 4.1.1
?
How comes some people have access to the jelly bean update and others not?
FYI 4.1.x is Jelly Bean, however, there is a 4.2.x update for Jelly Bean that you will get at some point

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
FYI 4.1.x is Jelly Bean, however, there is a 4.2.x update for Jelly Bean that you will get at some point
ITYM 4.1.2? Either way: There's no guarantee of that. Samsung chose to leave Galaxy Tab (1) owners at ICS and they pushed 4.1.1 out to Tab 2 owners knowing it had the clipboard bug.

Jim

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
In which case you can only hope that they will at least issue a patch.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
In which case you can only hope that they will at least issue a patch.
Apparently not: Samsung criticised as Android device copy bug is unfixed after eight months

From Samsung's own developer's forum: Clipboard crashes on Android 3.0+ Samsung devices

The most recent post in that thread, dated Mar, 22, 2013, five months after the thread was started:
Hi !

I bought a Galaxy Tab 2 last month and even after a factory reset, it continues to crash. It happens when I use chrome, notes, internet, gmail, mail... always ! Some times I can copy just a word and other times a sentence. I use my tablet to work and it is very disturbing. I did call samsugn and they told me to send it to them so that they can look at it. I will have to wait more than a month, knowing that there is no fix since july 2012? Yeah, nice!

I hope there will be an uptade for my Galaxy Tab 2. Right now it is 4.1.1.

From the Guardian article:
Terence Eden, a British developer who raised the problem in the past 24 hours, called the bug "shockingly bad engineering". Writing on his blog, he said it was "Typical Samsung. Sloppy engineering followed by complete indifference towards their customers."
Which was pretty much the conclusion I reached after researching that bug, the many other critical bugs that have afflicted Samsung mobile devices, and Samsung's abysmal customer service reputation.

Jim

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
@SEMIJim
Come on, get over it, I doubt you are going to have an effect on Samsung's bottom line or anything. I realize you have declared a personnal vendetta against them, but my experience, and that of many people I know, is completely positive. You have stated, far too many times over, your concerns, but it seems obvious you are less interested in offering sound advice than righting some percieved wrong done to you by Samsung. Might be time to advocate for another maker rather than spending your time trying to sully Samsung's reputation.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
@SEMIJim
Come on, get over it, ...
*sigh* Fanboys
shake.gif

The OP asked a specific question. He was given an answer (Samsung releasing 4.1.2 for the Tab 2s) that recent history suggests was probably a vain hope. Same with leeshore's 2nd response (the patch).

Samsung is not perfect. In fact: Despite their market share, history indicates anything but. Get over it.

...my experience, and that of many people I know, is completely positive.
I've known four people IRL with Samsung mobile devices: An S2, a Tab 10.1 and two Tab 2 10.1s. Two of them got bit by the clipboard crash bug. Plus people keep complaining about it on-line. So it's a pretty safe bet it's real, despite the fact you'd apparently prefer to keep people in the dark about Samsung's execrable mobile device product quality and customer "service."

... it seems obvious you are less interested in offering sound advice ...
4.1.2 vs. 4.2.x: Fact.

No indication there'll ever be a 4.1.x for Tabs: Fact.

Samsung pushed a known buggy 4.1.1 out the door and shows no inclination of pushing 4.1.2 out for some devices: Fact

The clipboard bug remains and Samsung continues to ignore it: Fact.

Facts are, by definition, sound. Your comments, however, were composed primarily of opinion and personal attack. Not so sound.

... than righting some percieved wrong done to you by Samsung.
My wrong was righted by Costco. Full refund. No problem.

Might be time to advocate for another maker rather than spending your time trying to sully Samsung's reputation.
There's no maker of which I'm particularly fond, atm, and Samsung certainly needs no help from me to sully their reputation. They're doing a fine job on their own. Shall I recount their two latest magnificent Android device snafus?

Maybe I'll do a web page, put it all together, there, and put it in my signature... bein' as I'm on a vendetta and all...
uptosumpn.gif

Jim

5am

Mar 22, 2013

Really? My s3 mini is quote as running on jelly bean which seems different to my tab which is quoted as running on ice cream sandwich everywhere including amazon etc...

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Really? My s3 mini is quote as running on jelly bean which seems different to my tab which is quoted as running on ice cream sandwich everywhere including amazon etc...

When you go to Settings - About, what Android version is listed?

Keep in mind, JellyBean 4.1 on tablets typically has a TabletUI (with clock in the lower right and pop-up notifications) and JellyBean 4.1 on a phone has a PhoneUI (with clock on the top and pull down notifications).

Exception to the 4.1 TabletUI is the Nexus7 and Nexus10 tablets, they use a "PhabletUI".

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Yes, really. 4.1.x and 4.2.x are JB. 4.0.x is ICS.

Jim

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
*sigh* Fanboys

Blah blah blah

Jim

Give it a rest fella. You've been telling the same sad story for some time now and it's getting boring.

Yes, we know that you don't like Samsung. Mainly because you had a bad experience with your Tab. And yet there are several people here who are having great experiences with their Tabs, myself included, and my wife, and my daughter.

So how about giving us all a rest and get off the soapbox and move on with life.

Status
Not open for further replies.