Weird battery usage with workaround

finitol

Dec 31, 2010
DieH@rd.. did you notice any substancial change on battery life after hack???

Please, tell us...

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm trying this now. I personally recommend (and am) changing the file names to phone.apk.txt and TelephonyProvider.apk.txt It's just to ensure we remember what they should be and also means it's easy to remember what to turn it back to (sounds foolish but I've learned leassions like this the hard way)

Will report back soon if it works,
Richardo

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Ok, done. How do I remove the no signal indicator from the top toolbar(between muted sound and the battery indicator)?

Thank you,
Richardo

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Ok, since I did this fix the app for this forum keeps crashing... Anyone else got this fault?

Thanks,
Richardo

DieH@rd

Dec 15, 2010
Preinstalled Youtube app stopped working after i disabled Wowhome and phone apks.

johnfrankiej

Jan 3, 2011
Preinstalled Youtube app stopped working after i disabled Wowhome and phone apks.

I've turned back on phone apks and restarted, youtube and forum app now working.
Wowhome still disabled (running LauncherPro).

I suspect youtube and forum app were reading phone state, however with the apk not working there was a conflict.
Need to make a mod on the framework, but I'm not at that level yet (trying to learn though).

John

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Flytouch 2 (wowpad, haipad etc etc) battery usage is unaffected as far as I can tell, it does make the battery usage breakdown reasonably reliable but that's the only change...

Hope this helps,
Richardo

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
After living with no Phone.apk for a couple weeks on my Haipad (and yes YouTube app crashes, but I've had no issues with forum app) I'm turning them back on. I think my tablet gets the same benefit by simply being diligent about keeping it in "Airplane Mode" all the time.

mid

Aug 28, 2010
I've also removed all apk's related to phone and can't really tell if it helped or not. Battery life is really bizarre because the first half of the battery drains much more quickly than the second one.
The other thing that really pounds me is the standby draining. More precisely battery is losing around 10% capacity while on standby. Device is also getting mildly warm. I've been looking at the processes and can't really blame anything but the lack of speed reduction of the processor itself. It seems that the constant 800Mhz is killing any possibility of long standby. SetCpu doesn't seem to work, so I'll try look into it. I've beed having this draining no matter what firmware I put. How is your standby time?

don.fief

Jan 19, 2011
Mine is read only, and the rename option is blanked out... How did you rename it?

Don

Dang. Didn't mean to be 'that guy' who didn't learn from previous posts... Never mind...

Last edited:

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
I've also removed all apk's related to phone and can't really tell if it helped or not. Battery life is really bizarre because the first half of the battery drains much more quickly than the second one.
The other thing that really pounds me is the standby draining. More precisely battery is losing around 10% capacity while on standby. Device is also getting mildly warm. I've been looking at the processes and can't really blame anything but the lack of speed reduction of the processor itself. It seems that the constant 800Mhz is killing any possibility of long standby. SetCpu doesn't seem to work, so I'll try look into it. I've beed having this draining no matter what firmware I put. How is your standby time?

Yup. That is my main beef with the FT2. If only they can reduce the standby current drain, I would be a happy camper. Seems like all the current crop of Android tablets running 2.2 and below suffers from the same problem. Same issue with my old FT1. Until they fix this problem, Android will always struggle with battery life.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Deleting the stock widgets and using a different launcher really helps too!

Sent from my SuperPAD using Android Tablet Forum