Which should I buy: Pandigital versus Sylvania tablet ?

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
Hi everyone.. this is my first post here. Nice forum. :)

My Wife and Daughter have "taken over" my Kindle Fire tablet (I got it last Christmas, and I use it for the internet and to remote into my Linux and Windows workstations on my home network)
I am looking for a really low bottom end tablet, $60.00 or less. These two below have Android 2.2 (Froyo) on them. My mind is / have been going back and forth on this.. all weekend..

Sylvania SYTAB7MX Tablet PC ARM 11 (1GHz) 7" 512MB RAM, 2GB Flash Memory -claims 3 hour battery life - Seems like it has a lot external ports on it.

Pandigital R70B200 7" 256MB DRAM Memory 2GB Shared Storage Media Tablet - claims 6 hour battery life

The prime thing that I want is to do simple internet surfing with it, I volunteer some of my time for the national weather service.. and it would be nice to have this tablet downstairs of my house that I could just wing on and see what storms are incoming. Flash is nice, but not a major concern. I would like to install some apps on the tablet.. if any are still around for Android 2.2 (Froyo).

I'm pretty much set on either or.. unless there are others around for less than $60.00. I really appreciate your thoughts on these tablets.
Thank You!
Geelo

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
hi, i do not recommend pandawill. they have been known to mess people about in the past. it can be a hit & miss thing with many of the cheapest suppliers, hence the low price. they are purely profit orientated & after sales service is virtually non-existant. i would recommend you buy from a reputable supporting vendor from this site for peace of mind. it may or may not cost a few extra dollars but peace of mind should be worth this slight difference. my choice would be redtabletpc.com as they do not sell oem(copy tabs with little quality control) devices & are reliable, friendly & honest. its your choice in the end but saving a couple of dollars may cause you a big headache in the long run. good luck whatever you choose. here is a link to their site , i think its at least worth a look at as you have nothing to lose but may have plenty to gain.

UZone Pad F0 Advance 7 inch Android 2.3 Tablet PC RK2918 ARM Cortex A8 Support Wifi 3G Camera Video Chatting UZone Pad F0 Advance 7 inch Android 2.3 Tablet PC RK2918 ARM Cortex A8 Support Wifi 3G Camera Video Chatting [UZF0] - $89.99 : China Tablet P

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
hi, i do not recommend pandawill. they have been known to mess people about in the past. it can be a hit & miss thing with many of the cheapest suppliers, hence the low price. they are purely profit orientated & after sales service is virtually non-existant. i would recommend you buy from a reputable supporting vendor from this site for peace of mind. it may or may not cost a few extra dollars but peace of mind should be worth this slight difference. my choice would be redtabletpc.com as they do not sell oem(copy tabs with little quality control) devices & are reliable, friendly & honest. its your choice in the end but saving a couple of dollars may cause you a big headache in the long run. good luck whatever you choose. here is a link to their site , i think its at least worth a look at as you have nothing to lose but may have plenty to gain.

I appreciate your input. The prices on the site are a bit higher, but they seem to have a great selection. A very hard decision to make.

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
I have decided to go with the Sylvania SYTAB7MX tablet. I should get it by Friday. I'll report back my findings. Thank You for the suggestions, above.

pelco

Aug 7, 2012
Hi
I would like to recomemd you to buy "Pandigital R70B200 7" 256MB DRAM Memory 2GB Shared Storage Media Tablet" , but pls pay attention to its after sale service when you buy, because now the price tablet pcs is cheap,however the quality cannot be assured.

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
Hi
I would like to recomemd you to buy "Pandigital R70B200 7" 256MB DRAM Memory 2GB Shared Storage Media Tablet" , but pls pay attention to its after sale service when you buy, because now the price tablet pcs is cheap,however the quality cannot be assured.

Thank You 谢谢

I already made my purchase, but I will keep what you said about the pandigital in the back of my mind... that may be a future option. After sale service is one thing that I think about, another is parts.. primarily the lithium ion battery.. I can install the battery myself as I have been a hardware tech for over 20+ years (among other Information Technology fields) .. but just knowing what the model and part number is of the battery and able to "find it" is the other thing to think about in advance. :)

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I have had both Pandigital and Sylvania. I returned the Pandigital, because most of what I wanted wouldn't load on it (probably because of the low RAM). My wife used the Sylvania until I gave her an Acer A100. It was OK, but the resistive screen is a limitation, and it scratches very easily. I think it also had a problem with sleep mode. I got a couple of cheap Polaroids with ICS for my grand sons. They seemed to be OK until both bit the dust from rough use.

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
I have had both Pandigital and Sylvania. I returned the Pandigital, because most of what I wanted wouldn't load on it (probably because of the low RAM). My wife used the Sylvania until I gave her an Acer A100. It was OK, but the resistive screen is a limitation, and it scratches very easily. I think it also had a problem with sleep mode. I got a couple of cheap Polaroids with ICS for my grand sons. They seemed to be OK until both bit the dust from rough use.

Thanks, I know it will be limited compared to a newer tablet. I'm getting it today.. I'll post back my findings after I get it a test run for a few hours.

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
I got the tablet last night. I have it fully charged this morning, but so far so good. It has really "exceeded" my expectations. It is a bit slower than my Kindle Fire when switching screens / app windows, I expected that. It does not work with Google Play, I expected that (thanks google). However, It does work with other application sites, and I have downloaded a bunch of apps already. One pre-loaded app, is YouTube and that seems to be working very well. I can remote into my Linux and Windows workstations from it (VNC & RDP). The 8GB Mirco SD flash media card that I bought is working well for storage. I have test out the 1st Mini usb port for external hard drives, and external keyboards. Also the other mini usb port for data transfer to my computer, no issues. I have not tested the HDMI port yet.. I have to give that a try on my TV. The head phone jack works.. that's awesome.

Last edited:

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
Well, I have had this cheap tablet for a month now. No issues to report. I have not bought a mini HDMI to HDMI cable yet, but I am going to. I carry this tablet to work and back on a daily basis now. This tablet proves to me that you "can" buy an older tablet and still have it do want you need it to do as long as you know the limitations vs a brand new tablet.

Geelo

Aug 6, 2012
It's been about a month now, and Sylvania SYTAB7MX Tablet is still working great with no issues. I bring it into work everyday and listen to streaming music. If you buy a older tablet like this, and Google Play is not supported. Download and install Amazon App store instead. Also, I "highly" recommend a anti-virus application.