Which Tablet? Read books + write notes (handwriting)

Si14

Dec 18, 2011
Hi all,

I want to buy a tablet. I want it mostly to read ebooks (pdf+word+powerpoint) PLUS I also want to take notes with a pen or stylus or.. with my handwriting (not using keyboard or handwriting recognition).
Therefore, my demands are:
-good and fast handwriting for taking notes from the books I am reading
-support different formats of books (pdf+word+powerpoint...)
-low weight
-long battery
-wifi is also important (for downloading stuff)
-usb (2 or 3) is needed as well

Please let me know if you know any good tablet for this purpose.
I understand that for example Asus eee slate ep 121 can do this, but I wont go for it because (expensive, heavy).

Thanks very much for your time.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Lenova Thinkpad Tablet has a digitizer layer, as does the HTC Flyer. The Thinkpad is a 10" Honeycomb tablet running about $499 and up and the HTC is a 7" model you can get for as little as $300 (right now it runs Gingerbread but a Honeycomb update is promised). Capacitive tablets without a digitizer are not really optimal devices for handwriting.

Si14

Dec 18, 2011
Thank you. Do you where I can get a list of tablets with digitizer layer?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There really aren't many, I believe besides the Thinkpad and the HTC, there is an LG that is carrier backed and the Samsung Galaxy Note which has a screen a little over 5" (and this seems to be a very cool device).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi all,

I want to buy a tablet. I want it mostly to read ebooks (pdf+word+powerpoint) PLUS I also want to take notes with a pen or stylus or.. with my handwriting (not using keyboard or handwriting recognition).
Therefore, my demands are:
-good and fast handwriting for taking notes from the books I am reading
-support different formats of books (pdf+word+powerpoint...)
-low weight
-long battery
-wifi is also important (for downloading stuff)
-usb (2 or 3) is needed as well

Please let me know if you know any good tablet for this purpose.
I understand that for example Asus eee slate ep 121 can do this, but I wont go for it because (expensive, heavy).

Thanks very much for your time.

Honestly you are going to have a hard time finding a tablet to meet these specs. You should be looking at netbooks or laptops if you need these features. Otherwise you can find tablets that will meet most of the requirements. You should look into some tablet PCs as well, particularly for the handwriting.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Actually, since you are not looking for handwriting recognition, I think the HTC Flyer would suit you well, it is light weight, has up to a 12 hour battery life, and the digitizer. It may not be dual core but really that is mainly only a drwaback if playing games was important, and that wasn't in your list. At $299 and another $50 for the pen the price is quite reasonable as well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum