Which tablet to buy - I want to read and annotate articles?

huon

Dec 9, 2010
I'm trying to wean myself off printing everything I need to read, and I want the option of reading in bed or an armchair. I’m not interested in dedicated devices such as Kindles; and iPads are too expensive; so I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet/slate. I will be very grateful for help in deciding what to buy.

While reading (books, newspapers and journal articles) I would like the option of being able to:

• Copy text (even images) into a clipboard or editor.
  • Annotate the article including highlighting text or making notes to follow-up.
  • Lookup words in a dictionary.

Questions:

• Can I read a book, newspaper or other e-doc (including .pdf files) in one window, while making notes in another?
  • From another post I understand resistive touch screens are better (than capacitive) when using a stylus:
    • Is hand-writing recognition capability (such as Palm’s Graffiti) included?
    • How do I know which display type is on offer eg does “800 * 600 Touch Screen” refer to resistive or capacitive (or both)?
  • Is a 7” screen sufficient - I’m getting on in years so rendering of text needs to be fairly good?
  • Is version 1.6 adequate for my needs or should I go for v2.1 or 2.2?
  • Do all devices come with a USB connection, as mostly I’ll copy material from my Mac/PC.
  • Are there WiFi considerations that I need to be aware of – for the occasional email and download?
  • Processor – is 533 MHz enough?
  • Other ?

So what are the suggestions for under $US150?

Regards, David

lady-momo

Dec 3, 2010
Hmm..it's really a tight budget, but i think there is one device can meet you requirements.:)
the apad 7" with android 2.1 OS, and luckily,that's the only device contains a multitouch screen among the market at the moment. and the price i saw on a online wholesale site is $156. A really worthful one. hope helped.