Why is Gmail required?

AndesHelp

Feb 27, 2012
Hi Folks,

I have a Google Account and when I try to login to download an app to my Samsung Galaxy I can't get past a screen which says I do not have a gmail account. I have the Google Account. Why am I required to get a gmail account, which I do not want. The people I know who have one are always complaining about all of the SPAM and Trash email they are getting. :confused:

Thanks

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Andes

Well Google has invested a bit of money to develop Android and is giving it away for free. The only thing they ask is that you open a Gmail account to download Apps from Android Market. I Somehow think it is a fair deal. Especially as you never have to check your email account so there is no reason to worry about spam and Trash.

BTW I don't think Gmail is better or worse than any other free email service.

AndesHelp

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks. You're right. However, now that I have a google and gmail accounts I still can not download from the android apps. It appears that now I am required to have a Yahoo Account too. This is just way too many hoops to jump through.

It takes a while for me to adjust to having so many different accounts just to do a download. I feel like I am facing the Town Bullies in the school yard, Google & Yahoo.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You are most definitely not required to have a Yahoo account and Gmail is somewhat optional. If you have an Amazon account you can download apps through the Amazon app store without a need for a gmail account and there are other Android Markets (Slideme)where the .apk (app files) can be found that don't require gmail.

However, gmail is strongly recommended since so much of Android is integrated with Google (as stated it is their OS). As far as gmail spam, I agree it is no worse than any other free mail and they actually have a very good filter so you can just go into the spam folder and delete everything with two clicks. But as also stated you don't even have to use gmail if you don't want to. Having the account address and password is enough to enable Google Market and the associated Android tie ins.

Again, Yahoo is not required so I'm not sure where you got that information. However if you are trying to use a Yahoo news app or mail app, I can see why it would tell you that you need a Yahoo email account for that sort of app.

AndesHelp

Feb 27, 2012
The Yahoo requirement came from the 'Yahoo Login' displayed by the Android Market website. That was the only login showed for the website. After creating a gmail account I was able to get around the Yahoo Account nonsense. But, this Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player would not allow any access to downloading/installing any apps until I had created and logged in with a gmail account. Now I have another email I will not use, just to satisfy the Android Apps installation requirements for my device.

Gmail is not 'strongly recommended'. It is absolutely required for the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player. Now that I have the apps I was trying to get, I will go back and cancel the gmail account. Even by going to Amazon, as soon as I clicked to install the app the Google Account Login popped up on my device. So, I gave up and created a gmail account.

Oh well. It could have been worse.