Why tablets will beat laptops in 2012

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
by Jack Wallen | January 3, 2012 8:20am PST | Image 1 of 10 Previous | Next

Click Next to go to the next page.

6335499-540-360.jpg

I was one of those doubters who thought of tablets as nothing more than a gimmick. But having now used these devices more extensively, I've changed my tune. I can see that tablet technology is incredibly useful. My change of heart has given me a growing belief that tablets will replace the laptop as the mobile device of choice. Here are the principal reasons for my new position.

Power consumption
The tablet scores heavily over the laptop when it comes to power consumption. On average, I can get a full day out of a tablet on a single charge. I couldn't even get close to that with a laptop. For anyone who has to operate on the move, running out of power is just another factor that interferes with work. You're less likely to find yourself in that situation with a tablet.

Photo credit: James Martin/CNET News
Captions: Jack Wallen, TechRepublic

Last edited:

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
I bet to differ. The whole power consumption is a non-issue. The reviewer just never used a Macbook Air, or any of the new ultrabooks. The battery lasts just as long as on a tablet. Besides, tablets are not meant to be laptop replacements. They have a niche of their own as media consumption devices. While the sales of laptops have fallen, it may mean that a lot of people didnt need a laptop in the first place as they already have a desktop computer. They are looking for a tablet now. A tablet will never be able to beat a laptop in terms of workability & the amount of stuff you can do when you need to type & stuff.

Although, I do think that tablets may converge with laptops in the future. Like what Asus Transformer is like, image a really powerful laptop that has a detachable screen. You can use it as a tablet when you want and as a laptop when you need to work.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I agree, I wouldn't even try to use my tablet for the things I do on my desktop/laptop. While moderating the forum or doing just about anything, I typically have open windows and tabs all over the place that I'm constantly bouncing between. To be fair though, I think the author is referring to the "typical" netbook/laptop when discussing the power consumption, and those only have a battery life of a couple of hours. My tablet, in the same price range, can go several times as long on a charge. Not everyone can afford a Macbook Air, or a new ultrabook.:eek:

BTW According to an article I read at the time, your avatar was an actual "hacked" highway sign that appeared here in Illinois. Until the highway department sent out a crew to change it back to the original message.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Funny about the avatar. Maybe better info than the article (only the brief here that I have read anyway). I'll also have to disagree with this small portion of the article. Tablets are good at many things but not at the same level as true pcs. Until you have a full os on a tablet like Windows 8 or the tablet OS evolves another step or two Android 6.0? There are just many things tablets don't support.

I am sure the day of convergence is coming and the Transformer and other tablets with docks that make them net books are the early versions of what we can expect to see. But it will take some time for the devices and the OS to catch up. So not 2012 but 2013/2014 much better chance that "laptops" will be detachable screen tablet/keyboard body arrangements.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
We could honestly see a docking Windows 8 tablet by the end of the year. Asus, for one, moves pretty quickly on these things.
I also agree that, even though I use my Transformer for 95% of my computing needs I couldn't live without a windows machine for now (even though when I do use my windows computer more and more I am accessing it through Splashtop on my Transformer).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I agree with the convergence thought, though I abhor windows OS of any flavour. It has its uses but for me they are all off line. I would love to see one of those convergence units with a fully expanded Android OS making it a true PC OS. Unfortunately as pointed out, Android is a good system but it is not a true PC OS.