WiFi Connection Problem

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
I have a Dell venue 8 7840 tablet which I purchased a week ago. I am not able to connect my tablet with my home WiFi network and it everytime says "saved'. I am not even getting the option of '"forget'. I have even tried doing factory reset but of no use.

Surprisingly all my other devices are getting connected with the same network without any problems. Also, other WiFi networks are showing up in my tablet correctly and also getting connected.

I got 5.1 upgrade of the tablet immediately on first boot.

Please suggest solution.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Tablets may not connect when everything else may because of differences in chipsets used by the tablet and also possibly by Android itself. I have a link in my signature that has a lot of tips on getting connected as it is a frequent issue. It could be the type of security you're using, the type of password or even as simple as the WiFi needing a reboot.

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
Thanks for the very quick reply and help. Unfortunately, I have tried most of the options that you have given in your thread of wifi connectivity as under:-

1. Have tried all channels including 1 and 6. But no use.
2. I have a 3G dongle (USB stick king of a thing) and have rebooted the same almost n number of times. But no luck.
3. I don't at all get the option of "FORGET" at any point in time..........poor signal could not be the issue since all other devices show full strength of the wifi.
4. I am already on WPA/WPA2 security.
5. The tablet is able to connect to other wifi connections / routers correctly.
6. I have already factory reset my tablet once. It did connect immediately after that once but after a while the problem cropped up again.

So, you see I have already tried most of the tricks as suggested by you but all in vain.

What could be the issue then?
Thanks for your time and efforts.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
One thing you mentioned leads me to think the problem is your router. Check for a firmware update or try resetting your router to defaults long enough to see if you can connect before setting everything back up.

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
I did factory reset of the wifi dongle just now............but no use boss. Now what? I am really getting confused now.:(

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I wasn't talking about the dongle, I was talking about a WiFi router. If your problem is only with the dongle all bets are off as there are very few 3G dongles that will ever work with Android.

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
Oh my god.....this is really surprising.....but one thing that I have to tell you that the tablet came with kitkat out of the box and connected to the same wifi dongle without any hitch. I downloaded the entire 1gb file of lollipop upgrade through this very dongle. I think I forgot to mention about this earlier. Now if what you say is true then what is the way forward?

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
Oh.....this means that even if I ask Dell to replace the piece, it won't help, right? And what about my observation on connection while on kitkat?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have no idea. Did you get it all from Dell, including the dongle? If so you need to take it up with their support people.

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
No. I am from India and dongle is from another company called reliance communications.
Usb otg cable could work as an option?

ANTANISV

Sep 27, 2015
Hi, Leeshor.....I would like to inform you that I could resolve my problem of wifi connection by disabling McAfee security app which came as a preinstalled app along with Android 5.1 update. This app was preventing IP address to pass through......

Thanks for all your support. You may like to include this as one of the probable solutions in your relevant thread related to wifi connectivity issues.