WiFi issues - won't connect, shows disconnected

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
I purchased a Huawei Ideos S7 tablet today from Best Buy for my wife's birthday, partly based on info from these forums. She was very pleased with it until we left the house and tried to connect to another WiFi hotspot without any success. Thinking it was an anomaly, I told her to wait until we got home and I'd check it out. However, it will no longer connect to my WiFi network at home. It has the network remembered but every time I try to connect it attempts to and then shows "Disconnected". I've tried everything I can think of, removed the network, restarted WiFi, even wiped the tablet clean and started over, all without any success. Nothing has changed on my network at home - my other WiFi devices all still connect, but the tablet does not. Any tips?

Thanks,
Nathan

Last edited:

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
While I have no idea why this happened, I was able to finally get things working again by resetting the router. I changed the name of the access point and changed the password and the S7 was able to log in. But now I have to go to all my wireless devices (1 Wii, 2 Tivos, 3 laptops, 5 smartphones) and change the settings in them. But at least it's working!

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
Actually I'm still having problems connecting. It does connect well to my router at home after all the resets, but I am unable to use my hotspot. It shows the hotspot in the list, but when I try to connect, it says "Obtaining IP address from [hotspotname]..." and then shows "Unsuccessful". However, in the wifi hotspot settings it actually shows it as being connected. I just don't know what to do at this point. BTW, the hotspot is my Palm Pre Cellphone and it works fine with my laptop. Any ideas?

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
I had this same problem trying to tether to my WM phone. It is an adhoc connection, correct? I never did find a resolution, although I read a lot of suggestions on making a static IP address for your S7. Might wanna try that.

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
I had this same problem trying to tether to my WM phone. It is an adhoc connection, correct? I never did find a resolution, although I read a lot of suggestions on making a static IP address for your S7. Might wanna try that.

I'm assuming this is an adhoc connection. I've used two separate pieces of software on my Palm Pre without any success (freetether and My Tether). However, the S7 does connect to the Evo hotspot without any problems.

I'm doing some searching on static IP for the S7 but haven't had a lot of success yet. I'll report back on what I find. And will appreciate any other advice.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Hotspot connections are typically NOT ad hoc. I had a problem with an Android 1.6 device (Garmin GPS) not being able to connect to my Virgin Mobile WIFI hotspot card, but it had no trouble connecting to my home network and subsequently to my Optimus S operating as a wifi hotspot. Never really figured it out but suspected it had something to do with the wireless security key protocol. See if you have a choice as to how to specify your passphrase on the hotspot.

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
Hotspot connections are typically NOT ad hoc.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think they were but I'm definitely not a guru. I assumed adhoc were more local in nature, made up on the go for more peer-to-peer and not having more advanced routing/DHCP features. But I'm in new territory here.

See if you have a choice as to how to specify your passphrase on the hotspot.

I can choose any passphrase or can just make it open. I have not had any success either way. :(

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You've pretty much tried everything I logically would have (including opening the hotspot w/o a passphrase) - sorry I can't offer anything more. BTW - FWIW my S7 had NO trouble connecting to my Virgin Mobile hotspot, but tended to lose connection after awhile if I was travelling in a vehicle with the hotspot. I haven't had the same problems using my Optimus S phone as the hotspot for the S7, but to be honest I didn't use the Virgin Mobile MiFi much before switching over to the Optimus but my impression was that the S7 locked onto the Optimus in a more stable fashion than the Mifi. This could be a function of how strong the respective wifi transmitters were.

NathanCCI

Feb 12, 2011
BTW - FWIW my S7 had NO trouble connecting to my Virgin Mobile hotspot, but tended to lose connection after awhile if I was travelling in a vehicle with the hotspot. I haven't had the same problems using my Optimus S phone as the hotspot for the S7, ...

My daughters have the Optimus S so I'll try that when get home, but my wife has the Palm Pre so I need to figure out how to connect to that since that's what she'll have with her all the time. Thanks!

miss_sjg_x

Apr 26, 2011
Hi guys.
I'm not sure if anyone is still having this wifi problem with their Samsung Galaxy S, but it happened to me the other night. I'd done nothing out of the ordinary, turned off my phone at night and back on in the morning, tried to connect to the internet only to find my home hub was doing some flashy light crap (it LOVES doing that, those of you with a home hub will understand). Since then I've been unable to connect via wifi; phone stating it's obtaining the Ip address when it obviously isn't. So after doing all of the above switching channels, WPAs etc and even the dreaded factory reset (lost so much lol) it still wasn't working.

As a stroke of genius (total desperation) I randomly tried deleting my device off my home hub memory via the homehub manager and reconnecting and what do you know it's actually worked!

I ave a feeling my home hub attempted to send my phone new data but my phone was just confused and continued to try and connect using the old settings.

Fingers crossed it's solved it.

Hopes this helps :)

Bensonius

Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys.
I'm not sure if anyone is still having this wifi problem with their Samsung Galaxy S, but it happened to me the other night. I'd done nothing out of the ordinary, turned off my phone at night and back on in the morning, tried to connect to the internet only to find my home hub was doing some flashy light crap (it LOVES doing that, those of you with a home hub will understand). Since then I've been unable to connect via wifi; phone stating it's obtaining the Ip address when it obviously isn't. So after doing all of the above switching channels, WPAs etc and even the dreaded factory reset (lost so much lol) it still wasn't working.

As a stroke of genius (total desperation) I randomly tried deleting my device off my home hub memory via the homehub manager and reconnecting and what do you know it's actually worked!

I ave a feeling my home hub attempted to send my phone new data but my phone was just confused and continued to try and connect using the old settings.

Fingers crossed it's solved it.

Hopes this helps :)

Just wondering if you can provide an update? Did this solve the problem? I have the same phone, doing the exact same thing...I'm currently at work, so can't try it. It's on a Telus provided D-Link router (In BC Canada)