WiFi Security

geezer

Jun 29, 2016
Medion Lifetab P10341.
I have read in a computer magazine that I should avoid Wifi connections that don't require a password because they might be unsafe.
I should ensure that the tablet is not set to automatically connect to unsecured networks.
How can I check?
Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
For Android 7, in Settings > WiFi > Configure WiFi, make sure "Use Open Wi-Fi automatically" is not enabled. That will prevent the tablet from connecting to those networks. In the WiFi menu itself in Settings, secured networks will have a lock icon next to the WiFi signal icon that open networks won't have, so you can always tell what kind of network you're connecting to. The catch-22 with the advice to avoid open WiFi connections is that tablets are not nearly as useful without a WiFi connection. I don't know what you use your tablet for, but for a lot of use cases, you're going to need a connection to the Internet if you are outside of your home. That means one of two things: either making sure the tablet you do have includes a cellular modem for connection to cell towers, eliminating the problem completely since WiFi would then not be used at all, or else using an open Wi-Fi connection.

Since the most common pitfall of an open hotspot is that the data is transmitted between device and hotspot unencrypted, anyone needing to use one should invest in a VPN (Virtual Private Networking) app and service. The VPN will encrypt the data packets sent to the hotspot, thus maintaining a secure connection.

geezer

Jun 29, 2016
Thanks, Traveller, for the reply.
I am working on the information you gave me and in due course, after consulting a friend if he is available, I hope to have a better picture of the Wifi technology.
Laugh if you like but as a retired person (not an idiot) it is really difficult to see a clear large picture of all the ins and outs of tech regarding broadband, Google which sends you round in circles, Android tablet, precautions against villains and so on. No Haynes manual for Android, or is there something that answers simple questions?
Ted