Win XP very very slow loading, in more than 15 mins

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Since this is OT I assume you are asking about Windows XP, which is totally obsolete. However the reasons for XP booting slowly could easily be a hard disk going bad, corrupted operating system/drivers, malware, poor network connection not picking up DNS, file crosslinks. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Kuman

Sep 20, 2013
Since this is OT I assume you are asking about Windows XP, which is totally obsolete. However the reasons for XP booting slowly could easily be a hard disk going bad, corrupted operating system/drivers, malware, poor network connection not picking up DNS, file crosslinks. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

it's for XP. I got its from Malware, MyPCBackup. I can't access USB, do u know how can I run an AV from a DOS prompt?
Can't get my pc online too.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I assume you have tried safe mode and failed to boot.

If you have a CD drive and access to another system there are some live AV ISOs that can be found on popular download sites that would run a scan from a bootable CD/DVD

It sounds like it may be time to throw in the towel. I don't know how to run any anti malware app from DOS.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The only anti-virus I know of that could work from DOS is NOD32. I don't believe Eset still offers it for purchase, unless it's part of their small business offerings. You may be able to find trial versions out there, but the trial versions likely won't let you delete the viruses you may find. Thus, the best thing to do is to update this machine's OS by installing something that is supported, like Windows 7. If that is not an option for whatever reason, save your data, wipe the computer, and reinstall Windows XP.

Kuman

Sep 20, 2013
The only anti-virus I know of that could work from DOS is NOD32. I don't believe Eset still offers it for purchase, unless it's part of their small business offerings. You may be able to find trial versions out there, but the trial versions likely won't let you delete the viruses you may find. Thus, the best thing to do is to update this machine's OS by installing something that is supported, like Windows 7. If that is not an option for whatever reason, save your data, wipe the computer, and reinstall Windows XP.

I d/l Eset NOD32 & will try to run it.

Kuman

Sep 20, 2013
I got the offline version, tried to install it & got an error 'WIN Installer service isnt running' .....
since I got rid of the old AV I can work w the run option even though its still very slow.

Kuman

Sep 20, 2013
Can someone help me how to run this App: grub4dos-0.4.4 in a terminal? I unzipped the zip file.