Worth Rooting? And random Honeycomb issues

Worth Rooting?

• NO, there isn't really anything out thats worth flashing, so why bother?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iPadhater

Aug 8, 2010
- word of caution -

Don't yell at me and tell me to root android to get the full experience. I already know this.

So now that we have that out of the way

IS there any real benefit to ROOT using gingerbreak with the Iconia now?
I mean how so would I benefit? Root explorer? Custom boot screen? OC the cpu? Certainly not Flash anything, xda doesn't seem to have any good roms out yet. I don't feel the need to root the device, simply because I wouldn't really benefit from it. Performance isn't a big issue (T250 is a great SoC) so not sure what else to do?

Another quick thing, I haven't been crusing xda or here in awhile so I don't know about any HONEYCOMB issues but have any of you:

- Have apps randomly crash on you even though you have sufficient amounts of RAM
- Randomly have everything crash on you at once (every single process including launcher was closing until I shut it down
- You need to purchase apps on the marketplace twice for it to install?
- Whenever you reboot everything seems sluggish?
- After you exit an app, your homescreens need to regenerate (elaborate: usually when I exit an app, I'm instantly there to my homescreen with my (icons widgets etc) but sometimes, I exit and all I get is my background and slowly widgets start appearing)

so yeah, feed back from fellow owners would be cool.;)

rcmolski

Apr 4, 2011
I rooted as soon as it was available and had good feedback. Why? Two reasons...

1. I want to be able to tether to my Droid; can't do that without root because ad-hoc networks are not recognized one stock. This is typical.

2. I want to be able to back up my system, apps, and data. Need root to use Titanium back up.

I'm sure that there will be other advantages to rooting in the future. Those are the most important reasons for me.

Other cool root apps I'm using:

Root explorer (Iconia & Droid)
adfree (Iconia & Droid)
Setcpu (Droid)
Barnacle wifi tether (Droid)
ROM manager (Droid)
SD maid (Droid)
SD speed (Droid)

Easy decision, easy process.

Good luck,

Bob

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
I haven't seen an overclock kernel for the a500. You need a custom kernel to use an app like setCPU to overclock.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Is there an oc image that you can flash on your Iconia? Should I try SetCPU?
Does your A500 lag in apps? I haven't seen any performance issues that make me even want to OC yet. Tegra 250 Dual cortex A9 at 1GHz in the A500 seems to handle everything Honeycomb can throw at it- and then some.
Custom kernel would be nice though...;)

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I rooted for three reasons:

1.) So I could run a samba client

2.) Unrestricted backups

3.) Because I could ;)

Number one is the biggest reason. I like being able to set up a smb share and access my SD card from the desktop.

I have not noticed any issues with my a500 since I rooted it. I doubt I will install a custom rom because I like how everything works the way it is.

Cen5