XOOM & IPAD2 Comparison

tiht20

Jul 23, 2011
Hello,

I'm comparing between Xoom and Ipad2,
Can anyone tell me his experience or other comparisons area to help me more to chose.
Where the GREEN areas show points of strength.
Apple IPAD-2 (32G Wifi Only)
Motorola XOOM (32G Wifi Only)
Price
$
Rating
Amazon
82% (289 Reviews)
84% (392 Reviews)
Bestbuy
94% (62 Reviews)
84% (113 Reviews)
General
Announced
2011, March
2011, February
Status
Available. Released 2011, March
Available. Released 2011, May
Size
Dimensions
241.2 x 185.7 x 8.8 mm
249.1 x 167.8 x 12.9 mm
Weight
601 g
708 g
Display
Type
LED-backlit IPS TFT, capacitive touchscreen
TFT capacitive touchscreen
16M colors
16M colors
Size
768 x 1024 pixels, 9.7 inches
800 x 1280 pixels, 10.1 inches
- Multi-touch input method
- Multi-touch input method
- Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
- Three-axis gyro sensor
- Gyroscope and barometer sensors
- Fingerprint/scratch resistant oleophobic surface
Sound
Loudspeaker
Yes
Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack
Yes
Yes
Memory
Phonebook
Practically unlimited entries and fields
Practically unlimited entries and fields
Internal
32 GB storage, 512 MB RAM
32 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
Card slot
No
microSD, up to 32GB
Data
WLAN
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth
Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
USB
Yes, v2.0
Yes, microUSB v2.0
Camera
Primary
0.7 MP, 960 x 720 pixels
5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED flash
Features
No
Geo-tagging
Video
Yes, 720p@30fps
Yes, 720p@30fps
Secondary
Yes, VGA
Yes, 2 MP
Features
OS
iOS 4
Android OS, v3.1 (Honeycomb), upgradable to v3.2
CPU
1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor
Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor
PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU, Apple A5 chipset
ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 T20 chipset
Messaging
Email, Push Email, IM
Email, Push Email, IM
Browser
HTML (Safari)
HTML
Games
Downloadable, incl. motion-based
Yes + downloadable
Colors
Black, White
Black
GPS
No
Yes, with A-GPS support
Java
No
Yes, via Java MIDP emulator
- TV-out
- HDMI port
- Digital compass
- Digital compass
- MP4/MP3/WAV/AAC player
- MP3/WAV/WMA/AAC+ player
- Audio/video player
- MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264 player
- Google Maps
Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk
- iBooks PDF reader
- Document viewer
- Photo viewer/editor
- Organizer
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1
- Voice memo
- Predictive text input
Battery
General
Standard battery, Li-Po 6930 mAh (25 Wh)
Standard battery, Li-Ion (25 Wh)
Stand-by
Up to 720 h
Up to 336 h
Talk time
Up to 10 h
Up to 9 h
Music play
Up to 10 h
Up to 80 h
Video Play
Up to 10 h
Up to 10 h
USB Charging
Yes
No
Human Tests
Start-Up
27 Sec
45 Sec
Drop
70% Screen damage
40% Screen damage
Touch Screen
Wonderful
V.Good
Wifi Speed
Less
Much Faster
Color Accuracy
Much Better
Less
Switch Apps
Less
Much Faster
Available Apps
Much Much More
Less

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Hard to know what are the subjective measures that are important to you. The iPad offers a very slick, very solid easy to use experience that is stable and just like every other iPad on the market. The main difference between iOS and Android I believe can be summed up like this, my wife recently switched from a Droid Incredible to an iPhone because she really thought it would be better. Now she feels like even though Android took longer to learn, and was more complex, she also had more freedom to do the things she wanted and more control over the device itself. So...now she would love to switch back if she could.

Hope that helps

tiht20

Jul 23, 2011
pbrauer,
Thanks, that's really helps me more, cos I'm already preferring Xoom over Ipad-2

Last edited:

calden

Nov 4, 2011
It's funny when I bought my Xoom I was standing right behind someone who bought an iPad2. As luck would have it I found myself at the same Starbucks about a mile from the cell shop as the guy with the iPad. We both had the same idea of unpacking our new gadgets while drinking our ice coffee blended treats. First me, I opened my box took out the Xoom, opened the little sim compartment put in my 3G chip and turned it on. Prompted with the sim code screen and then the registration screen, whole process from start to finish 4 minutes. I immediately went to the Android Market and started filling my new toy with apps. I then noticed cursing coming from behind me, turned around and saw the guy who had just bought the iPad. iTunes, I need iTunes what the f#$& I just sold my laptop for this. Apparently to get the money to afford his new shiny iPad2 he had to sell his notebook but was ironically unaware that you needed to register the iPad threw a computer that has iTunes, install programs threw a computer that has iTunes, install updates threw a computer that has iTunes, so on and so on, threw a computer that has iTunes. (sorry one more for affect) Anyway I felt bad for the guy and went over to talk about choices, Android choices that is. By the time I finished with why Xoom's are so cool and iPad's aren't speech, I helped the guy pack up his iPad for a prompt return. He then went back to the shop, returned the iPad and got a Xoom. That's my comparison with Apples iPad vs. Motorola's Xoom. The iPad could have a Quantum CPU in it and I still wouldn't touch it because of that damn iTunes. An Android tablet is all all about freedom and choices. Apple tablets are DRM'd up the yin yang, anti choice, no flash, no media codec's, Nazi ruled, crap of a gadget. Apple has become the one thing they always fought against. They've become, "The Man".

small-logo.png

Last edited:

KeepItReal

Oct 27, 2011
Now that iOS5 is out, they have iCloud for Over-the-air updating. Those that have iOS4 must use iTunes tethered to PC to load the new Version, then they are tether free. The iOS5 ability to sync and iPhone info right to your iPad2 is sweet. You can take a picture on your iPhone then it also will appear on iPas2.

That being said, other than the people that read forums, most people don't know how, or are technically challenged to implement these advance features, an d many advanced features that these phones can. They will use Siri.

So, really, you have to weigh what you need to do, and the best platform to do it in. Androids main claim to fame is it highly customizable. Followed by native flash. The 1st Xooms have free upgrade to 4G, and also can increase memory storage, that no other tablet can do (to my knowledge). iAnything is 3G and you are hard wired to storage, so you have a tendancy to up $$$ to the higher storage just in case. The new Xooms have technically almost same specs (dual-core, etc..) but are thinner, lighter, built-in 4G, and now NO SD card slot to increase memory.

Now, go shopping on www.verizonwireless.com and find a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) for $399. Free upgrade to 4G. WOW! Best price performance anywhere. They are warrantied like new and you can add insurrance to extend manufacturers warrenty to 2 years, and for lost, thief, or damage (including water damage).

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum