Has anyone found a way to get an external SD Card recognized??

Wingcheck

Apr 3, 2012
I'm very new to Android and just recently purchased an Acer a500 32gb tablet. Lo and behold, I discovered that when I put in a 32 gb external card, the OS (3.2) doesn't recognize it. After a little digging, I sadly discovered that neither Gingerbread nor Ice Cream Sandwich recognizes an external sd card. The big question here is, has anyone found a workaround for this??

Wingcheck.

You should have access to the SD card but just not be able to store apps and their data on it. Yes, there is a work around but it requires root access, so you must have a rooted device. At that point you can change a couple of lines in the code to mount the SD card as a more usable drive. You will need to check out the Acer section to see if you can root your device.

Tho I have little (meaning NO) experience with 'the newer androids' I have to ask...

What format is on the card? Something incompatible perhaps?

:)

I don't have your particular tablet, but on my Honeycomb 3.2.1 device I can set the default storage location to either internal storage or the external sd card. I go to "settings, storage" and at the top the default storage location can be selected. All apps are then installed to that location. You can also access the sd card using a file manager such as ES File Explorer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the sd card should be formatted using the FAT32 system.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Since my last post, I now have (2) tablets with Gingerbread (2.3.3) on them... tho one is 'brain-dead' right now...
They are not 'brand-name' (unless 'cheap Chinese Junk' is a brand name :rolleyes: ) but they accept external cards. I do not have a 32gb card to test in them... and it is possible that they cant handle those, but every other card I own works fine!
Ensure they are FAT32...

If you meant 'Honeycomb or ICS' then...
Nothing else I can offer... :D

Last edited:
Back