1. Why a tablet 2. Which tablet

mrtomhill

Nov 26, 2011
So my netbook recently broke and I've always been fairly interested in the idea of a tablet.

I have an android phone, i'm not keen on the apple market.

So in your opinion why a tablet over a new netbook (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/7petdl3 )
...and which tablet would you recommend.

I have considered waiting for the new amazon fire, but the tab 10.1 is drawing me in, also so is the transformer but that's for you to decide.

Thanks people

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Portability, and because tablets is where technology is bringing us to. 2011/2012 is going to see GIGANTIC Android Tablet sales. People want the portability of a MID (Mobile Internet Device) while still having enough power to play games, stream HD videos on a larger 10" screen.

I have the Motorola Xoom, which I absolutely love. It is the 4G version... Verizon 3GB/mo for $35.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
My netbook didn't break but I bought a tablet anyway. Maybe it was just my particular netbook, but it takes a log time to boot and then it takes awhile to warm up to where it seems to work properly. Forget webmail on the netbook. It is a pain. Screen resolution is much better on the tablet and the netbook does not have a multi touch screen. Have you tried reading a book on the netbook? Not much fun.

Obviously, I recommend the Sony S because it is just an awesome tablet. If you want a 10" screen but do not want to spend quite the much, I recommend the Acer A500 because I did a lot of checking tablets and it consistantly came out on top.

Good luck!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I am looking at the Toshiba Thrive, it's a 10.1 inch tab and has all the features I am looking for along with 1gb of ram and killer resolution. Although I'll be honest I am torn between Acer Iconia 10.1" and the Toshiba, but the user replaceable battery and full sized ports on the Toshiba have it slightly in the lead for us. When hubby was thinking of a more budget conscious 7" we were looking at the Coby's. They also make a 10.1" screen so it's up to you, you didn't specify a budget range although you mentioned the transformer so that tells me you're looking at higher end tabs. I think it's a matter of preference as to what one you go with. I had a netbook and LOVED it, but my mother needed something small and I decided to gift it to her, so I replaced it with a MONSTER Of a machine, a 17" Inspiron 17R. I love it so far, a few months in, and my netbook is doing great with Mother's loving care. :) I hope you find what you're looking for. If you need HDMI output and want full sized ports take a look at the Toshiba Thrive. It's a decent machine from the looks of it, the only thing I have heard negative about it is battery life, and it won't matter that much to us, he won't be using it like I use my laptop, and I leave that plugged in most of the time anyway. Best of luck to you mrtomhill, in your tablet hunt! :D

mrtomhill

Nov 26, 2011
Portability, and because tablets is where technology is bringing us to. 2011/2012 is going to see GIGANTIC Android Tablet sales.

So true

you didn't specify a budget range although you mentioned the transformer so that tells me you're looking at higher end tabs. :D

You are right indeed, I was originally looking for a netbook to replace my other one but instead of getting a cheap bad one like that time i thought let's try and get something that will last,

netbook to galaxy tab 10.1 to eeepad.

but now the thrive and the sony tablet s and the acer

Oooo I'm going to have a fun night :D

Thanks all round!