16gb or 32gb?

samarai

May 25, 2011
most uses of my Transformer would not need more than 16gb in my opinion. However, I am thinking of signing on with Netflix and I assume that 32gb would be better than 16gb. Right or wrong?

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You need to decide whether its worth it to pay a $100 premium for 16GB more of internal memory vs. just picking up a 16GB micro-SDHC card for between $20-30 bucks for a total of 32GB with the 16GB tab. As an alternative - periodically check out NewEgg as they often put up open box transformers for sale often at a deep discount. I was able to pick up an open box 32GB transformer for less than the retail price of a new 16GB transformer.

Last edited:

DJACID

May 7, 2011
I was thinking the same till I found a cheap deal on 3 8Gb micro sd cards,So bought the 16Gb model after installing my stuff, rooted, custom rom, clock at 1.4Ghz, books library, couple of movies, I still have 11Gb free,All my music is on the sd card with a few tv shows,

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
No. 3G capability is independent of the internal memory configuration of the tablet. That is up to the service providers. I don't know of a 3G enabled Transformer that has been released (at least not in North America).

dsteele1

Jun 28, 2011
After playing with my 16GB unit and searching online I found out that adding a 16GB external micros SD card does NOT increase your available app storage - apps are ONLY stored in the internal SD flash memory: 16GB max for the 16GB model and 32GB for the 32GB model. I have over 80 apps installed add it has hardly touched the 16GB capacity as most apps are 1 to 20 mb in size. The only thing you can put on the external microSD card is docs, pictures and Movies, Backups, etc. I would go with the 16GB for everyday user and 32GB for a gamer. Just my 2 cents...

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
Isn't there an app2SD application available for tablets? I know on my phone (EVO3D), I can move just about any app off to SD thereby having internal storage and external.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I had app2sd installed for a while on my Nook and it couldn't move anything I tried to move. Maybe it's better with a phone than it is for a tablet.

nova609

Jul 15, 2011
Greetings all!!!!!! This is my very first post and am super excited about it!! Anyway...this thread has definitely answered a few questions I had. I just bought my first tablet two weeks ago(Asus Transformer) and am absolutely loving it. It's amazing how much I hate my 1yr old toshiba laptop now. I was going to ask how to move apps to a memory card but that was answered, thanks. My next question is...I read about watching movies from your memory card on the tablet...now this is a pretty general question but am stumped on how to do it......how the heck do you guys put a movie on a memory card???????????????? I apologize for the ignorance but this whole technology thing is new too me and I am learning slowly...thanks for all the future help!!!!!!!!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
For the internal tablet memory, I hook the tab up to my computer and use the Asus sync software to transfer properly formatted (in my case mp4 files of various resolutions and bitrates) to the video folder on my internal card. Otherwise, for removable storage (SD card or USB hard drive [FAT32 formatted] plugged into the keyboard dock), I just plug the storage medium into my PC and transfer files to the appropriate folders on the card or hard drive. The Transformer can then see and browse the SD card and/or USB drive when plugged into the keyboard dock. That's one of the reasons why I consider the keyboard dock to be an essential accessory.

Jeffp25

Jul 16, 2011
I've been wondering about that, especially on the Thrive, where I could install a fast 32 GB SD card for only $50. I know from experience with Android phones, that Apps are pretty tiny, so even 8 GB should be plenty for that type of use. The extra memory is needed to store music, videos, and photos. However, I would wonder whether data on a flash card, even a fast one, can be accessed as fast as internal memory. If not, they could be a real advantage to having at least 16 GB of memory, with 32 GB being useful. Assuming it would work, 32 GB would also allow for backing up photos to the tablet, which is useful when travelling.

throwapot

Jan 23, 2011
djacid just got the tf101 went to best buy the thrive has nothing on this tablet imo asus all the way was wondering how to root this bad boy aND WHAT PLAYER IS
best for watching moves ot tv [email protected]

Kenif

Jan 20, 2011
I have a 32gb microSD card that I am using for additional space.
I have music and movies on it and they run fine (using MXplayer plus codecs)

You can also fit a SD card onto the dock as well as USB hard drives(i think)