A file to put Dvorak for hardware keyboards on Uberoid(replaces Qwerty, hardkey only)

tannim

Jul 29, 2011
Short version:
I used ES Explorer with Root turned on as well as root R/W enabled
download this modified to dvorak layout qwerty.kl from here
Back up /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl to a folder on your SD card
delete /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl
copy downloaded qwerty.kl to /system/usr/keylayout/
reboot

Long Version:
I got my cheap ass tablet to use as a somewhat portable typewriter. Android sucks for that if you require Dvorak. To fix the lack of dvorak support, I edited the Qwerty.kl file in /system/usr/keylayout/ and re-ordered the numbers and such to dvorak.

It wasn't too hard but nobody else seems to have done it anywhere so I'm posting my results.

I have only tried this on Uberoid 6 final with changer set to 8 for firmware install using ES Explorer set to root access and root r/w enabled. To install, download the file, unplug any hardware keyboards(I did anyway, not sure if required), go to /system/usr/keylayout/, Backup qwerty.kl to a folder on your SD card, delete qwerty.kl, then copy the modified qwerty.kl in its place place. Since you are probably using Uberoid, I'm assuming you are running as root. Root access is probably necessary for deleting and copying the file.

Once copied over, reboot and you should have Dvorak.

This only changes the hardware layout. It does not change the onscreen virtual keyboard. That will still display Qwerty only unless you download something like Hacker's Keyboard or whatever other softkey that offers dvorak.

Hope it helps anybody. If it doesn't work for you, copy your original qwerty.kl file back, make a copy of your copy. Edit that copy manually. It's not that hard, but do be careful of spelling and be sure to use all caps. When done, copy your own personalized qwerty.kl over as you would have mine.

Attachments

• $QwertyToDvorak.zip
    955 bytes · Views: 591