Advices for the new Tablet S owner?

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Hello all,

So I have defected the Vizio camp and got myself Tablet S.
It is in transit per UPS, should be here next week.
Advices from the experienced users are appreciated.
Too bad there is no root for this thing yet.

lakedubvt

Dec 29, 2011
Are you coming from another tablet or have an android phone? Would help to know in giving advice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Are you coming from another tablet or have an android phone? Would help to know in giving advice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am coming from Vizio vtab1008, 8" Gingerbread tablet w/IR blaster.
Inferior IR remote app, bad battery life, poor angle for screen made me to return my vtab 1008.
Know a few things about Android OS, rooting etc.

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
the tablet s is honeycomb 3.1. Its a honeycomb tab, so unless you plan on playing FFVII on it i dont see why you would want to root it anyway. Everything you could possibly want is already at your fingertips (literally). I played with this pad at bestbuy, it froze up twice. I didnt like its design, they call it ergonomic, i call it bulky. If you know android already and the new tab is market approved then not much advice we can hand out. Most of the people in this forum have non market approved tablets.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
the tablet s is honeycomb 3.1. Its a honeycomb tab, so unless you plan on playing FFVII on it i dont see why you would want to root it anyway. Everything you could possibly want is already at your fingertips (literally). I played with this pad at bestbuy, it froze up twice. I didnt like its design, they call it ergonomic, i call it bulky. If you know android already and the new tab is market approved then not much advice we can hand out. Most of the people in this forum have non market approved tablets.

Interestingly, I found the design of the Sony to be well thought out, certainly different from most other tablets that have a fairly vanilla design. It felt lighter to me than it probably actually is because of the way it allows you to grip the tablet. Luckily for us all there is such a wide variety of tablets and screen sizes available, with a little research people have a good shot at finding a tablet that fits into their lifestyle and usage needs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
Interestingly, I found the design of the Sony to be well thought out, certainly different from most other tablets that have a fairly vanilla design. It felt lighter to me than it probably actually is because of the way it allows you to grip the tablet. Luckily for us all there is such a wide variety of tablets and screen sizes available, with a little research people have a good shot at finding a tablet that fits into their lifestyle and usage needs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Very well said good sir. I have to agree 100%. I was thinking that moments after i made this post. I love the fact that android has created a completely new computing experience with 1000s of options and designs for people of all ages and origin.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Download and print the Owners Manual.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011

On the subject of rooting I respectfully disagree.
There are hundreds of good apps that require root access, starting with Clockworkmod Recovery and Backup.
The bounty on xda for rooting this tab is around $800 now btw.
People want root and ability to customize and control their own devices.

PS: DooMLoRD is looking into this, which is excellent news for those who want root privileges on their Sony Tablet S.

Last edited:

outdooralex

Dec 29, 2011
i want to root, too! It's essential for the best experience... actually that's the only regret i have with the Tablet S - otherwise I'm pretty happy with it!