After the Update - Any improvements?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I was wondering if others have any opinions on whether or not anything has improved.
Allegedly fixed were the following:

• Daylight savings time fixes
  • Calendar appointment fixes
  • Fixes the screen wake/sleep issue
  • Browser bugfixes
  • Adobe Flash Player 10.2
  • Improved Wi-Fi signal
  • Improved GPS signal
  • Corporate Exchange email support

Prior to my update, I put my Nexus One, My A500, and a magnetic compass along the same straight edge and was astounded to see the Acer off by 15 to 20 degrees. Since the update it is spot on. Closer than the Nexus.

My wake-up and go back to sleep problem is gone.

I never had any wifi or gps problems before.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Replying to my own post....

At least three times now, I've walked up to the Acer, tapped the button and found it was shut-down and had to reboot.
At least a couple of these times it was plugged in at the time, and had a full battery.
I can't be sure I didn't fat finger the power button. Just putting it out there in case others have seen the problem...

zealouz

May 26, 2011
Sometimes mine will lock up when on the charger for a long period of time such as overnight. I hold down the power button to turn it off and it does so but without the shut down dialogue box. I believe mine has also shut itself down...at least once.

GPS still always searching for signal. X-( It appears that the wake / sleep problem has been resolved though. My Wi-Fi appears to have gained some strength in its signal...i never really had problems with it before though.

zanetti2000

Apr 30, 2011
A friend says his compass app works now. We tired Google Talk (video) seems about the same. (not so good for the connections we had)

Dusto

May 20, 2011
Hmm, my compass is still off by 90 degrees after the update.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

zealouz

May 26, 2011
My GPS is working as advertised now...just had to give it some more time to catch satelites.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Compass and wifi seem to be better after the update - although with 3.1 coming in the next few weeks I wonder why even release such a minor update unless 3.1 will be hitting later in July, August for some reason?

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011
I'm not seeing Exchange support after the update, still only pop or imap. :(

No more screen wake which is great. GPS and wifi have always worked fine.

xandor

Aug 25, 2010
I'm not seeing Exchange support after the update, still only pop or imap. :(

No more screen wake which is great. GPS and wifi have always worked fine.

Did you try going to Settings > Accounts & sync > Click the 'Add Account' on the upper-right? You should be able to select corporate there and setup an exchange account.

I'm using touchdown (only because I already paid to use it with my Droid 2) but try it.

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Did you try going to Settings > Accounts & sync > Click the 'Add Account' on the upper-right? You should be able to select corporate there and setup an exchange account.

I'm using touchdown (only because I already paid to use it with my Droid 2) but try it.

I see the ability to add an Exchange account, but unfortunately I still can't use it. My company requires the ability to remote delete and it doesn't appear that is enabled yet. At least that's what I assume given it gives me a message saying 'The server requires security features that your Android device does not support'. :-(

fidoverano

May 26, 2011
Nop, no improvements so far, it took about 15 minutes to download and install the updates, but so far I haven't seen any improvement with this update.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hmm, my compass is still off by 90 degrees after the update.

If you are seeing 90 degree errors.....
The compass is often confused about which way it thinks you consider to be UP.
It doesn't know whether to use landscape or portrait mode.
Tip the tablet up (either landscape or portrait as you prefer) and then lay it down again and it
should figure it out. Maybe spin it slowly on its back after laying it down.

The compass sensor itself is located near the Dock connector. Keep that area away from your cell phone when using the compass.

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011

Ah ha! Thanks, I was trying to add it from within the email app itself. Doing it via add account in settings worked like a charm and it worked fine with our security policies w/ remote wipe, etc.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Personally, I don't notice much of a change. Maybe its not waking as often as it used to, but, as for wifi strength, I see no difference (could be my router too) and I haven't tried the compass or gps as of yet. Looking forward to 3.1

zl05

May 18, 2011
I noticed a few widget like google map which locate my current location. It become smaller like 2 x 2. Previously it occupied 1/2 screen...