Alliance forms web-based rival to Android

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
An industry alliance including the top wireless chipset provider Qualcomm will step up competition in the smartphone software market on Monday, with a new Internet-based free technology for cheaper smartphones: Android4Africa

The new OS is based on HTML5 and seems to have caught the interest of some of the leading mobile operators who are looking for a way to bring down the cost of the handsets. Android started as a phone OS. It will be interesting to see if and when this webbased OS will hit the tablet market.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I have seen web based OSs come and go, seems they never take because consumers don't like the idea of all their personal stuff being in a company server somewhere.
I can say with full honesty that I will never spend my money on a cloud based device be it a PC phone or tablet.
It is true that every thing you do on line can be tracked and know, but most of what you do on your PC is still fairly private. Cloud based devices by nature of desine can never be.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
I am also old fashion I like my data to stay on MY hard disk but it is increasingly difficult and to be honest cloud computing has it advantages.

When that is said there is nothing to stop a web-based OS to store the data locally. Will they do it? Probably not in fact a lot of the activities you do on your tablet is already shared with somebody out there.

What I like about this new OS is that it is based on HTML5. There are those who believe that many apps with migrate to HTML5. There are many advantages most importantly:
  • One app for all platforms
  • No payment to the different markets (must be a bit of a headache for Apple)
It would be very difficult for any new entrant to compete with Androids and Apples Eco-system but by basing the OS on HTML5 they might have a good chance.

We will see how this battle will take shape but being a user I like to see any initiative that can reduce cost and increase competitions.

Last edited: