Android Ice Cream Sandwich Forum

mrbodywork

Sep 24, 2011
I am so excited to get is that I downloaded an ICS theme onto my driod x

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
So...as far as hardware requirements, what are we to expect? I know that any Honeycomb device will be able to handle it, but what about single-core?

leeh007

Jul 15, 2011
The nexus one his supported which is a single core phone, so it will be down to the CPU speed and memory.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Jun 29, 2011
Didn't the press release mention something about everything with 2.3 or higher will get 4.0?

Support Our Troops!!
Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Just noticed - the entire heading for this forum is misspelled. Ice Cream "Sandwicth?" :cool:

Anyway, ICS looks great. Hoping for some serious fluidity improvements on tablets, too.

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
I was at Best Buy yesterday, looking particularly at the Asus and Samsung tablets (which may be overkill for my needs - I've posted on the "what should I buy" thread to ask for suggestions).

The salesman suggested that I not purchase anything until the middle of November, as ICS would be coming out and would be adding some voice activated functionality. Is that accurate? If so, I'd like to learn more because the keyboards on these things are really a struggle for those of us who are ancient enough to rely on touch typing! :)

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Well, the keyboards on all Honeycomb tablets have included voice control, and although it is fairly accurate you have to speak clearly. There is supposedly an emphasis on Voice control in Ice Cream Sandwich, considering they developed a whole new 'the text writes as you talk' system.

I would also suggest waiting until November. For one, the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime is slated to be officially released (November 7th, I think - no word on a 'for-sale' date yet) which has been basically confirmed to have the Tegra-3 "Kal-El" Quad-Core processor, and will get Ice Cream Sandwich (unknown whether it will come pre-installed).

Also, you mentioned that the keyboards are a struggle to use - you likely haven't seen, then, the true companion for the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. The Keyboard dock. The tablet has two latches along the bottom side, which the dock connects into. The dock has a built-in keyboard, as you may have gathered, with very good functionality - Control-C to copy, Control-V to paste, backspace, enter, the full number row - it's a QWERTY keyboard. The Transformer Prime that I mentioned earlier also has a keyboard dock (It's not really an accessory, but a core piece that melds perfectly with the tablet, with said tablet still being able to function on it's own).

The Prime is also a whole whackload thinner than the original Transformer - the Prime is 8.3mm thick, while the original is 12.98mm thick. (That's well over 4mm, and a very, VERY large difference). It also has a brushed metal exterior and a camera flash, based on details that have been gathered visually so far.

the66thcamper

Apr 13, 2012
Just a question from a newbie to the tablet world-

will it cost anything to update your current operating system, and how much if it will? I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Galaxy 2 tab 7.0 and a Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus, and the only thing holding me back from the Galaxy + is the Operating system.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
the66thcamper said:
Just a question from a newbie to the tablet world-

will it cost anything to update your current operating system, and how much if it will? I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Galaxy 2 tab 7.0 and a Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus, and the only thing holding me back from the Galaxy + is the Operating system.

The upgrade would not cost you anything, so the question becomes will they upgrade the OS and when.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
I have ICS on a Nexus S phone. So far, so good. I like the fact that you can freeze the apps you don't want. Will it work the same way on a tablet? I've rooted phones just to get rid of social media and what carriers think I want. The phone and now the tablet are glorified nature libraries and PDAs. I have the Acer A500, and except for size, like it. I just saw the description of the Acer Ring. Can you get rid of that? It's something I'd never use. I get annoyed when the settings pop up while reading. I'd love to stick those functions on the top of the screen.