Archos 70 Internet Tablet vs Samsung Galaxy Tab

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
I would most probably be using for watching videos (Youtube and own videos) , Play games , surf the net. Which device is more suitable for me? Please recommend...

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
First off, are you talking about the older Galaxy Tab or the Galaxy Tab 10.1? There are pretty big differences - they're almost a different class of device.

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
First off, are you talking about the older Galaxy Tab or the Galaxy Tab 10.1? There are pretty big differences - they're almost a different class of device.
Im talking about the 7inch Galaxy Tab. 2010 Model.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Wow - that was a quick reply. Sorry I didn't check for it ;)

From the two, I would definitely recommend the Archos Tablet. It's lighter, thinner, and cheaper. The Galaxy Tab is grossly overpriced for what you get (in my opinion).
The Archos has a Capacitive touchscreen, a 1GHz processor similar to the GTab, still has a respectable screen quality (800x640 - not bad, not great), comes with either a 250GB HDD or an 8GB SSD (SSD's are much more shock-proof and much faster - a HDD would likely break if you dropped the thing once). It also has an MSD AND USB port, giving you way more flexibility.

Overall, the specs are respectable and the price is right. Although second-gen tablets are due out soon, it seems, if you want one now for a good price then it is a good tablet.

Evergreen88

Sep 17, 2011
I have a 7" galaxy tab and i believe it to be the best investment i ever made. They are a perfect size to fit in your jeans pocket, upgradable so if u arent totally happy with the android system it comes with you can upgrade to gingerbread and such. Youtube is sooo good on it, full hd gaming with excellent games, download 1080p youtube videos on it, web surfing quick and easy with pinch zoom control, plus if u do upgrade to gingerbread the web surfing gets even better, which tbh i dint believe possible till i upgraded myself. Well worth the money which isnt exactly bank busting anyway.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Evergreen does have some good point on the GTab.

Just thought I'd mention that the Archos is thinner/lighter than the GTab.

However, some of the more subtle things are higher quality on the GTab. It has a better screen, better OS (Gingerbread), and I think a better camera.

However, If the GTab is in your price range, spring for the Archos 80 G9! It's supposed to be released quite soon, with the latest version of Android Honeycomb (3.2 - a massive jump over Gingerbread or Froyo in my opinion). It comes with a 1.5GHz dual core processor by Texas Instruments (OMAP, its called; which is higher speed than even some of the other, more expensive Tegra 2 tabs out there and way, way more powerful than the GTab; although I'm not sure about real-world performance over Tegra 2). It also has access to the Android Market, the Archos 70 does not have and is a massive dealbreaker for most. All major brand tablets have access, including the GTab; and the G9 having it is a big, big plus over the Archos 70. It also has an 8" screen, which is great factor in my opinion(my ideal is around 8.7-8.9", I'd say).

Getting access to the Market is actually a pretty big thing, which means Google has provided that access (which implies that Archos is now climbing in the brand-status area for tablets). Getting Honeycomb is also major, as it isn't open-source at the moment and Google must have accepted them as an official vendor for it to receive that (at least, to the best of my knowledge).

The specs are great, the price is right, and it is well-supported. It might even get Ice Cream Sandwich, since it already has the latest edition of Honeycomb.

Price: $299. There are various reports on it online, such as this one; and it is listed on the Archos website.

I'm not sure about one thing, though; the report I linked to reported that the October models will have 1.5GHz processors, 16GB of storage; and the closer September models will have 8GB of storage with a 1GHz processor. The price of the better models will be 30$ higher, according to them - but they haven't confirmed with Archos yet.

Last edited:

phil8715

Apr 9, 2011
I have the GT-P1010 and I love it. Its wifi only version of the GT-P1000.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
So should I get the Archos 70 or wait for the g9 tablets? And when will it arrive in Singapore? I can't wait to see!

Evergreen88

Sep 17, 2011
If the archos 70 doesnt have access to android market then that should be the dealbreaker straight away, so G9 would be the smart option. Btw if your ideal size is 8.7-8.9 then the Gtab is bringin a new 8.9 version out as they did with the 10.1. Gingerbread will come standard wheras the 7inch does not. All in all id say the G9 is the best tab for your needs. But im not sure on release dates.

Evergreen88

Sep 17, 2011
If you still cant make up your mind then go on youtube and search for leodee followed by the tab of your choice, they unbox and review all good phones and tabs and you will get a better idea of what is best for you looks and usagewise.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The choice in the end is yours to make. Remember, The GTab WiFi only is the only one to one comparison. If you want or can afford 3G then the GTab is potentially right. The core elements are what you want to do with it. If it were me and lived in US, I would go for the Archos G9 series, but if outside the US right now, It would be less expensive to get the Archos 70/250 with its integrated 250Gb drive than the base GTab. These are selling the US for $250USD.

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
The choice in the end is yours to make. Remember, The GTab WiFi only is the only one to one comparison. If you want or can afford 3G then the GTab is potentially right. The core elements are what you want to do with it. If it were me and lived in US, I would go for the Archos G9 series, but if outside the US right now, It would be less expensive to get the Archos 70/250 with its integrated 250Gb drive than the base GTab. These are selling the US for $250USD.
I think I will get the Archos 80 G9. When is it going to be on sale?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
It is available for Pre-sale beginning today (Sept 20,2011) for US only on Archos.com. The other units with the faster processor go on pre-order/sale in October.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Apparently the Archos 80 G9 comes with that faster processor! Check the spec page. 1.5GHz OMAP processor on the G9 for sale now. It's $299, too!

That's unexpected.