Are Screen Protectors Necessary?

Rm88

Jan 1, 2012
I recently got a Sony Tablet S along with a screen protector from Sony, but I kind of screwed at applying it and it got dirty. I've been using it without the protector and it hasn't been scratched, but that's probably because I have used it for a couple of days. Do you think using one is necessary? I clean my screen often, and the case I bought fully covers the screen when not in use.

Thanks in advance!

lhlan

Dec 27, 2011
A screen protector is surely needed! The Sony is much less well protected than say an iPad. Its screen is not gorilla glass to start with. Sony itself applies a thin protective layer on the screen (you can see it by looking at corners), but it doesn't help much, and in fact this protective layer will get scratched first.

You are going to notice scratch on the beautiful black back before soon. Better invest now!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I have had the Sony S for a couple of months. No scratchs. No screen protector. I do not see how it woduld get scratched anyway if you keep it encased.

On a side note, isn't this a great tablet?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

robinhebert

Jan 10, 2012
I have a screen protector I bought but dont need. Do you want it? Just send enough for postage, around $1.50

Rm88

Jan 1, 2012
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]@[/FONT]robinhebert : I really appreciate your help, but I live in Mexico so I'm guessing it'd be even more expensive that way :p Thanks a lot!

@jbenham: I guess I'll leave it unprotected, then. I'm very careful with it, clean it after use, and then put it in its case. And yes, it's a very nice tablet! But I still have to discover what it can do, I've been only using it for music, video and web surfing.​

waddy

Jan 23, 2012
I recently got a Sony Tablet S along with a screen protector from Sony, but I kind of screwed at applying it and it got dirty. I've been using it without the protector and it hasn't been scratched, but that's probably because I have used it for a couple of days. Do you think using one is necessary? I clean my screen often, and the case I bought fully covers the screen when not in use.

Thanks in advance!
it took me 3 attempts to apply a screen protector perfectly. cost me a lot, but i'm proud of myself,eh! eh! idefinately think one is needed.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's a local joke on a sister forum but they go on easier if you're in a steamy (shower) room.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I think the need for a screen protector depends on how careful you are with your device, the conditions under which it's used, how it's protected when not in use, whether or not it has Corning Gorilla Glass (and, if so, which generation?).

My tablets don't have it and that's yet to have been a problem. My phone came with it and, since the phone lives in my pocket (albeit alone): I left it on.

Jim

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
IMO screen protectors are not needed in most cases, if you are careful you really do not need one, but say if you let younger children use it then yes I would recommend it. Applying them can be a PITA for many. In all the years I've owned tablets I have gotten screen protectors installed perfectly once or twice. When I first started buying and using tablets I too thought that Screen Protectors were a MUST but now I don't think they are.. As long as you are careful you should be fine.

gumby555

Dec 24, 2013
I have a small scratch not too deep that I would like to remove on my screen. Any suggestions to get it off. Thanks