Bluetooth Pairing with An iPhone (4S)

MikeQuell

Oct 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you were able to pair your tablet with an iPhone, specifically an iPhone 4S? I have had them detect each other but my iPhone states it's not a supported device. Is there any way around this so I can get these two devices synced? I would like to tether them or use the bluetooth to gain access to the internet without rooting my device.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Did you enable Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth on your iPhone? BT on iPhone only works for tethering (at least with Mac/iPad, haven't tested with other devices) and to use headsets AFAIK.

MikeQuell

Oct 22, 2011
I figure that's what I need to do but haven't. I don't want to give up my unlimited plan to activate that feature but it looks like I might have to make that compromise.

Sing

Nov 19, 2011
From here (iPhone: System requirements for Personal Hotspot),
[h=3]"Personal Hotspot using a Bluetooth connection[/h]
  • Mac or PC with Bluetooth 2.0 capability and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later, or Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
  • iPad or iPod touch using iOS 4.3 or later can also connect using a Bluetooth connection. You cannot share a celluar connection using Bluetooth with other iPhone devices."
I've been using 'Internet Tethering'/'Personal Hotspot' on my iPhone 3GS via both USB & Bluetooth with my various Windows notebook computers & netbooks these past years. I can't do it with my new Sony Tablet S. I really need this feature. I don't want to get an iPad instead but I might be forced to.

Seemed that iPhone's Bluetooth don't recognise Android's Bluetooth for network connection. And to use USB for 'Personal Hotspot', the iPhone's USB Ethernet drivers needed to be installed on the computer & they're only found in iTunes so need to install iTunes for it to work. Am I out of luck with Android tablets or are there some ways of working round this?

Thanks.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
AFAIK there is no built in support for Bluetooth PAN or DUN, but maybe there is an app that adds this to the tablet, have you looked around?

Tzarrr

Nov 22, 2011
If your carrier allows it, you should setup a Wifi personal hotspot with the iPhone 4S and it should easily connect with the Sony S. Bluetooth will likely not work, and besides it has usually slower speeds than Wifi. I have a collegue of mine who has an iPhone 4 (not a 4S) who activated the Wifi personal hotspot on his iPhone, with WPA2 encryption, and I connected my Sony Tablet S flawlessly with it.

In my case, I have an iPhone 3GS. I could pair it with the Sony Tablet S in Bluetooth, but they wouldn't connect. I then jailbreaked the iPhone to install Cydia and MyWi to operate the iPhone as a Wifi hotspot. Trouble is, it only creates a "ad hoc" type of Wifi network. Ad hoc networks are not recognized by Android so no luck.

I'll have to ditch the 3GS and get an iPhone 4 or Android model instead (even better since I could share some apps with the Sony Tablet).

ZackF

Nov 18, 2011
If your carrier allows it, you should setup a Wifi personal hotspot with the iPhone 4S and it should easily connect with the Sony S. Bluetooth will likely not work, and besides it has usually slower speeds than Wifi. I have a collegue of mine who has an iPhone 4 (not a 4S) who activated the Wifi personal hotspot on his iPhone, with WPA2 encryption, and I connected my Sony Tablet S flawlessly with it.

In my case, I have an iPhone 3GS. I could pair it with the Sony Tablet S in Bluetooth, but they wouldn't connect. I then jailbreaked the iPhone to install Cydia and MyWi to operate the iPhone as a Wifi hotspot. Trouble is, it only creates a "ad hoc" type of Wifi network. Ad hoc networks are not recognized by Android so no luck.

I'll have to ditch the 3GS and get an iPhone 4 or Android model instead (even better since I could share some apps with the Sony Tablet).
Hi, do you know what app that is? Trying to get mine to connect. I have MyWi but it's awful, I've reset and changed the phone to 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1 etc and it just won't work. The latest version has an infrastructure option, which allows the Tablet to pick it up - but it doesn't actually let you go on the net (not in my case anyway).

You say activated the wifi on his phone, how do you do that? I've changed the carrier.plist to make it let me have tethering through USB & Bluetooth (o2 UK don't let you, but '3' do). I can't see an option for creating a wifi hotspot at all though??

Tzarrr

Nov 22, 2011
Hi, do you know what app that is? Trying to get mine to connect. I have MyWi but it's awful, I've reset and changed the phone to 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1 etc and it just won't work. The latest version has an infrastructure option, which allows the Tablet to pick it up - but it doesn't actually let you go on the net (not in my case anyway).

You say activated the wifi on his phone, how do you do that? I've changed the carrier.plist to make it let me have tethering through USB & Bluetooth (o2 UK don't let you, but '3' do). I can't see an option for creating a wifi hotspot at all though??

Creating a Wifi Hotshot is not possible natively on the iPhone 3GS (only by jailbreaking and using MyWi) . On the iPhone 4, you go into Settings, it's in there in Network I think, and not entirely sure, but dig around in Settings or Google it, you'll find it. In my case, I was more than 2 years into my contract so I could upgrade the phone for free... I've got a Sony Xperia Arc, impressive smartphone. Connects flawlessly with the tablet.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

ZackF

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply :)

I was using 4.2.1 (iOS 5 doesn't work with Gevey) and changed my carrier.plist etc so that it was enabled with o2 UK but couldn't find wifi. It appears that Wifi is only included in 4.3 and above, so after updating my phone to 4.3 and re-hacking it all, it now works brilliantly with the tablet :)

Thanks again, time to get playing with the tablet at last! :)

Zack

calisha86

Mar 28, 2013
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you were able to pair your tablet with an iPhone, specifically an iPhone 4S? I have had them detect each other but my iPhone states it's not a supported device. Is there any way around this so I can get these two devices synced? I would like to tether them or use the bluetooth to gain access to the internet without rooting my device.

I wads able to connect my iphone 5 to my Sony Xperia Tablet S. I enabled my personal hotspot, then connect the two via bluetooth. In order to do this I went to settings~Personal Hotspot~ turn on personal hotspot ~ there is a password under the on button for personal hotspot. Then on my tablet I went to settings~bluetooth~ clicked on iPhone link to pair ~ enter password from iPhone and click pair. Finally click pair on iPhone when prompted.