Brand new ASUS Eee Pad TF101...how do I connect to the internet?

Ms.Shalimar

Oct 15, 2011
I have Bright House on my home PC. They offer free WiFi to all of their customers....but the terminology they use to connect doesn't match anything in my Tablet.
Everything I have clicked on tells me not connected. Need all the help I can get..thanks, Ms.Shalimar:(

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Bright House?? Anyway, you should have a wireless router I would guess, with maybe your desktop connected with a cat5 cable? Just need a little more info in order to understand the problem.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Ms.Shalimar

Oct 15, 2011
Sorry, bear with me! You're dealing with "old" 74 stuff now. :) We have Roadrunner DSL. When I wrote them the response I got was...
[h=3]To log in to a Bright House Networks WiFi HotZone:[/h]
  1. If your wireless device does not automatically display your wireless network choices, open your wireless network options
  2. and select MyBrightHouse or Bright House Networks.
  3. Open your Internet browser. The WiFi HotZones page opens.
  4. Under Bright House Road Runner Customer, click Log In.
  5. Under Road Runner Subscribers, select click here.
  6. Enter your Road Runner Email address and Password.
  7. Select I agree to the Terms of Use.
  8. Click Log In.
The only computer stuff I have used is my desktop PC. Sure hope you can straighten me out.

Thanks, ms.shalimar

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Free Wireless is not the same as having a wireless connection in your house. Unless they installed a wireless routing device in your home, then you need to contact them or add a Wireless Access Point.

Ms.Shalimar

Oct 15, 2011
Question is....since I don't find any wireless network choices on my tablet..can I connect it to my home PC and get what I need that way? I have followed the yellow brick road
on the tablet..connect to WiFi, etc. but what Bright House tells me to do in not there that I can find.

Ms.Shalimar

Oct 15, 2011
My laptop is wireless...the only time I use it is when we go on a trip or backup for my desk PC. I cannot use it here in the house unless I connect it to the computer.
So I understand how that works. Thanks, I'll contact Bright house.

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Your dsl router isn't wireless most likely; most dsl boxes that come from the cable companies are not (although it might have ethernet ports that allow wired connections to it) . Sounds like you connect your laptop via a ethernet cable. The solution is to get a wireless router that you connect to your dsl. The router will provide wireless connection for both your laptop and the transformer. I use the Netgear N600 Dual Band Router WNDR3400, which provides N& G band as well as 4 ethernet connections. It allows you to set up a secure wireless and has a great range. My family all have laptops that connect to it as well as my transformer and it also provides the internet connection for my TV. My phone can use a wireless connection instead of data, so I also connect my phone to my wireless connection when I'm home and save on data on the phone! So you know, the wireless connection id fast enough for me to stream movies at tv on both my transformer and phone without any problems; speed is actually much faster than my 3g connection on the phone. I've clocked speeds on my computer hard wired to the dsl and compared wireless speeds and the wireless is just as fast!

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Your dsl router isn't wireless most likely; most dsl boxes that come from the cable companies are not (although it might have ethernet ports that allow wired connections to it) . Sounds like you connect your laptop via a ethernet cable. The solution is to get a wireless router that you connect to your dsl. The router will provide wireless connection for both your laptop and the transformer. I use the Netgear N600 Dual Band Router WNDR3400 (you can get it for approx $50) , which provides N& G band as well as 4 ethernet connections. It allows you to set up a secure wireless and has a great range. My family all have laptops that connect to it as well as my transformer and it also provides the internet connection for my TV. My phone can use a wireless connection instead of data, so I also connect my phone to my wireless connection when I'm home and save on data on the phone! So you know, the wireless connection id fast enough for me to stream movies at tv on both my transformer and phone without any problems; speed is actually much faster than my 3g connection on the phone. I've clocked speeds on my computer hard wired to the dsl and compared wireless speeds and the wireless is just as fast!

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Your dsl router isn't wireless most likely; most dsl boxes that come from the cable companies are not (although it might have ethernet ports that allow wired connections to it) . Sounds like you connect your laptop via a ethernet cable. The solution is to get a wireless router that you connect to your dsl. The router will provide wireless connection for both your laptop and the transformer, as wellas any other wireless device in your house. I use the Netgear N600 Dual Band Router WNDR3400, which provides N & G band as well as 4 ethernet connections. It allows you to set up a secure wireless and has a great range. My family all have laptops that connect to it as well as my transformer and it also provides the internet connection for my TV. My phone can use a wireless connection instead of data, so I also connect my phone to my wireless connection when I'm home and save on data on the phone! So you know, the wireless connection is fast enough for me to stream movies at tv on both my transformer and phone without any problems; speed is actually much faster than my 3g connection on the phone. I've clocked speeds on my computer hard wired to the dsl and compared wireless speeds and the wireless is just as fast!

Sent from my Transformer. TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

P. S. From the looks for things, Brighthouse is your internet service provider (ISP) and most likely your cable tv provider also. The device you have is most likely a cable modem that is also a router (ethernet ports). While your device may be a router, it most likely is not a wireless router. My guess is that you have a cable going from the device to your tv, and another cable (cat5 ethernet) going from the router to your computer. Most likely, your computer does not have a wireless card installed. While you could get a wireless card for your computer which would allow you to use the brighthouse website as a hotspot, a wireless router is a much better option as it will provide the wireless directly from the dsl. Also, with the wireless router connected to the router, you could put a wireless card in your computer and connect your computer wirelessly and get rid of the cable going to your computer from dsl modem. You might be able to get a wireless router from brighthouse, but it will most likely involve an additional charge. More cost effective to get your own. The netgear router is easy to set up.

P. P. S. We have Time Warner Cable here and I used to have them for both internet and TV. I still use TWC for internet, but I found Dish network was a better deal for TV. I get more channels with Dish than I did for the same price I was paying for the tv part of the bundle from TWC. I also got a free sling adapter, and with the dish app I can watch everything on my phone and transformer from anywhere including live tv and recorded shows and movies.

Last edited: