Budget Tablet For Specific Needs

smilejack1

Dec 3, 2020
I need an inexpensive tablet, 10" or so, for just a few purposes. What I need it for, I need it to quickly and well, with a minimum of glitches and freezes and crashes, and would prefer not to pay for bells and whistles I will never use. If you help me, I will put you in my will, but be advised that my estate will consist mostly of the tablet.

PS. I am not wedded to big names like Samsung and Lenovo - are Dragon's and Vankyos any good - and nor am I wedded to the idea of a new tablet. Recommendations for a tablet which is, say two or three years old, will be readily and joyfully entertained.

What I need it to do well:
  • Display very crisp text from webpages, pdf's, Word docs and spreadsheets. I will occasionally make notes on, or change a word or two on, the aforementioned files, but that's about it;
  • Facilitate reading the aforementioned text in varying light environments;
  • Have good but not great battery life;
  • Have a very responsive screen which won't provoke me to use profanity;
  • Provide for 32GB of storage, either onboard or via SD card;
  • Make good use of whatever fast wifi connections it may happen to be in range of;
  • Hear me well when I am using VR;
  • Not clutter up my OS and app drawer with oodles of preinstalled apps, or at least allow me to install them;
  • Either come with a sturdy cover, or be compatible with a third-party product;
  • Give me many years of companionship and affection, with a minimum of repair costs; and
  • Not much else, other than light texting, other forms of messaging and chat, and toodling around on Facebook until I get bored or annoyed - which generally happens quickly - and run the very small number of apps required to do the work mentioned above.
What I might like but don't need:
  • A USB port, or maybe even two, if the second is USB-C.
What I don't need it to do well:
  • Have more video and audio capabilities than I will need to play whatever goofy little 30-second videos I might click on while toodling around on Facebook. I will neither watch Lawrence of Arabia on this tablet nor listen to Mozart's 29th;
  • Take pictures. If I ever take a picture with this tablet, I will refund your money, and if I won't ever use one camera, I certainly won't use two or more;
  • Connect to the Internet in any way other than wifi;
  • Play video games, since I gave up after Donkey Kong, and;
  • Look cool.
All advice is appreciated, and please forgive me for being driven to prattle when in the presence of a device to type on and a captive audience.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
onn. 10.1" Tablet

This is about as inexpensive as you're going to get and yet have it be halfway decent. Plus, it should fulfill your list of must haves. It won't have more than a single USB-C port, but tablets in general only come with one USB port to begin with.