Can anyone sell me on Android tablets?

Rm88

Jan 1, 2012
Hi everyone. I realize this is not a great first topic, but I just had to ask.

See, I got a Sony Tablet S for real cheap. It hasn't arrived yet (will in one or two days), and I'll definitely enjoy it since I'm always open to new gadgets, but I'm one of those who believe tablets are pretty much gimped laptops. I'm not asking for specs or tech related info, I'd just like to read why you people love your Android tablets, what they offer over laptops (portability and looks, definitely) and what apps are recommended. I'll use my tablet mostly for web surfing, e-mail, music, videos, etc. - I'm also a big gamer, so while this won't ever replace my Nintendo 3DS, I'd like to try some of the games on Android.

Hope this is not the wrong place to ask. Thanks in advance!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I bought mine mostly because it had an IR blaster in it and for the price it was to hard to pass up. I also like the hdmi out feature because it is a lot easier to hook up then my computer. If you are a gamer you might want to check out the emulators and play them with a bluetooth controller.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
What I like my Android tablet most over my laptop is the speed. I can grab it up at any time and go right to my email or look something up on the internet. It's always loaded up. With my laptop I have to wait for it to load up. Secondly, the touch screen is so nice to navigate around. I catch my self touching the screen on my laptop sometimes out of habit. And I have a great Bible app and use my tablet at church in place of a paper Bible. Where I can make scripture highlights and add notes without marking up a Bible. With a laptop I would have to wait to load then worry about the battery. My Acer Iconia tablet runs all day on a charge. And then there is the cool factor. I am known as the techy guy and have to keep a certain cool factor going. Haha.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
What I like my Android tablet most over my laptop is the speed. I can grab it up at any time and go right to my email or look something up on the internet. It's always loaded up. With my laptop I have to wait for it to load up. Secondly, the touch screen is so nice to navigate around. I catch my self touching the screen on my laptop sometimes out of habit. And I have a great Bible app and use my tablet at church in place of a paper Bible. Where I can make scripture highlights and add notes without marking up a Bible. With a laptop I would have to wait to load then worry about the battery. My Acer Iconia tablet runs all day on a charge. And then there is the cool factor. I am known as the techy guy and have to keep a certain cool factor going. Haha.

Out of curiosity, what Bible app do you use? Because I'm thinking about picking one up once I finally get my tab. Also, how much does the app cost, and is it relatively easy to use?

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
I use Oive Tree. I have been using it for years, since my old Palm Pilot days. They have a very flexable reader and a lot of free books and Bibles. And now they have a PC desktop version.

Ooh, definitely will have to pick that up, since it has NIV available. Thanks for the info! :)

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
That's very basic at best. That is just me. These realy are great devices that have a lot of potential and flexability. I was hoping some of the others would chime in with their ideas too.

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
I use YouVersion for my bible app. I suggest Dolphin Browser for internet. PowerAmp is good for music and MoboPlayer for video. Email, games, internet and ebooks are my main tablet uses at the moment. I use Kindle and MoonReader for ebooks, including textbooks.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
I use mine to watch videos at gym. Used my OG Droid (using it now...)for this, but better on Tablet. (Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Wi-Fi).

Also, calendars are east to see (3 kids....lots to schedule). Sound is better than on phone, so I connect my tablet to speakers to listen to music. (Will buy a dock w/speakers when money allows...)

Also, this is something I NEVER would have bought for myself, but I have an extremely thoughtful and generous sister...

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Damino

Dec 31, 2011
Speed, portability, style, like other said. You power it on and your ready. I HIGHLY recommend you to download Kingsoft Office. Wonderful app to write text.

I also like to prank my parents when they are watching TV with the remote on the Tablet S. Amazing tablet, that's for sure!

Last edited: