can i rename an icon?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The only way I am aware of that being possible is by first rooting then installing a custom ROM that allows for some renaming of the defaults.

MonocleMike

Aug 2, 2012
I think I may have appeared to be trying to do something more complicated than I am. I just want to rename one of the icons I have added to my Home screen. They are shortcuts to things I do regularly and they were christened by the system when they were added. Any ideas please? I think it is very simple once you know how.

MonocleMike

Aug 2, 2012
I have worked out how to do it. In the browser: edit the bookmark, add it to home screen then delete old one. This only works for broswer shortcuts. Still don't know how to do it for apps.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have worked out how to do it. In the browser: edit the bookmark, add it to home screen then delete old one. This only works for broswer shortcuts. Still don't know how to do it for apps.

Correct, refer to my other post. You can't.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
To rename icon on the home screens you will need a custom launcher like Apex Launcher, Go Launcher or Nova Launcher.

You can do lots of other things (like change the number of home screens, screen transitions, kill the google search bar in the top, etc.)

I am rocking out Apex at the moment.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Frederuco is 100% correct. I said ROM but meant launcher. My bad.