Can the VZW installed apps be removed?

Dr_H

Nov 19, 2011
I know VZW says no, but I'm guessing others have found a way.

I'd really like to replace the featureless EMail client they installed.

--
Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I'm not an expert on this area but unless you have root access it is not possible. Some bloatware are also baked into the system and if you remove them it can create instability. You can try rooting the device if possible and then getting an app that can freeze it first, but like I said, I'm just speculating here as I'm not familiar with that device and they all don't work the same. Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

I hope that helps.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

RodRessler

Nov 28, 2011
You are correct. You need root and there are definitely default apps that the system uses. Deleting these apps will cause problems. I found a list on the internet (don't remember the URL, but it wasn't hard to find) of what is safe to delete and what isn't. Also, if you ever want to be able to accept Verizon's updates, keep a backup of anything you delete. Verizon updates fail if they try to update an app that has been deleted. You need to restore these apps, take the update, root again, and delete the bloatware apps again.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

Babydoll25

Sep 10, 2011
The best way to deal with bloatware (like vzw pre-installed apps) is to root the tablet and use titanium back up to freeze the offending apps. That way, they are out of sight but still installed in case you need to update your tablet later on. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum