Cannot Tether with my Droid

FergatROn

Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

I'm having a problem getting my newly purchased NC to tether with my rooted Motorola Droid. I'm running the ever-so-popular "Wireless Tether" version 2.0.7. A friend of mine was able to see my SSID, but my NC isn't seeing it at all. :confused:

Do I need to have my NC rooted or am I using the wrong channel? Thanks for any help.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
NC must be rooted to see ad-hoc networks. Mainly because you have to apply an updated wifi_supplicant file to enable ad-hoc. Also, I am Droid X illiterate so maybe your wifi is broadcasting an infrastructure network in which case you should be able to see it...

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
That's strange because the day I purchased my NC I used my Dinc's wifi tether app and had no problems connecting my NC. I registered my NC in the car while my wife and the kids did some shopping. I browsed the web and downloaded a magazine.

FergatROn

Feb 7, 2011
That is odd. What's a "Dinc"? Is that a device or an app? I'm probably guessing that your device's hardware supports the ad-hoc feature that my Droid doesn't. ;)

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
That's strange because the day I purchased my NC I used my Dinc's wifi tether app and had no problems connecting my NC. I registered my NC in the car while my wife and the kids did some shopping. I browsed the web and downloaded a magazine.

The NC can't see Adhoc wifi by default, so if you dinc is generating an infrastructure wifi hotspot, you should be fine.

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
"Dinc" is my Droid Incredible. I use the wireless tether app that's free in the market.

hoskinskevin

Mar 9, 2011
The Droid 1 isn't capable of producing an infrastructure network, only Ad-Hoc. So that's why your NC can't connect to your D1 without root. It irritated me when I first busted mine out too.