Capacitive vs Resistive Screens

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
What kind of screen is on the HP Slate 7, capacitive or resistive? I read that capactive screens are more sensitive but that resolutions are not as high because they are more expensive to make. I thought the opposite. There are lots of very cheap tablets out there with capacitive screens. My first tablet had one for about $50 on e-bay.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If I had to guess I'd say you would be hard pressed to find any current tablets with resistive screens. You're going back to the days of the PDA.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have an Archos 5 IT and a Huawei Ideos S7 both of which have capacitive screens but I'm not sure I've even seen one since their time. Obviously they are years old but both were solid devices. I know this is kind of irrelevant but interesting how far we've come in a relatively short time.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Recent resistive touchscreen phones, such as the Nokia N97, HTC Tattoo and Samsung Jet have made their resisitive touchscreens much more sensitive than those of previous years, helping to bridge the gap between the two technologies, but I've yet to see a resistive touchscreen that convinced me that it was capacitive for any length of time. Using a finger, capacitive screens will seem much more responsive.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I haven't tried it, but they say a capacitive screen won't respond to your finger while wearing a glove whereas a resistive screen will.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That's true. The single real benefit, and not all that small, is that you could use a stick to work on a resistive screen, (or gloves) but not on a capacitive screen.

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
My old cheap Irulu tablet only worked with a stylus. Does that make it capacitive?