Case Turns My Android Tablet Into A Netbook

allan40alt

Jan 23, 2011
I got this one for my 10" Elonex 1000-ET:
10" USB Leather Case With Wired Keyboard for Tablet PC on eBay (end time 06-Mar-11 22:20:32 GMT)

A joy to use and, as you say, it turns your tablet into a netbook.

The tablet recognises it immediately you plug it into the USB socket. One small point though, it does leave a small cursor arrow dead centre of the screen.

I did toy with the idea that I could use a two-way hub and also plug in a small mouse. Not sure whether that would work though. Be good if it does as that will really make it like a mini laptop.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
The vendor who sells short life tablets,(***************) does have a 8"case with keyboard for 8" Freescale A8, $19.90 , just don't buy phones or tablets from them.

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
There are a couple of members on the Coby forum using the keyboard case with great results. I'm getting one from ebay, should have it here by the end of the week.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

tlgalenson

May 21, 2011
Is there a generic way to configure the function keys? I'm running Android 2.1 on a Sylvania Mini-Tablet Express. Just got this keyboard yesterday.

Tom

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Is there a generic way to configure the function keys? I'm running Android 2.1 on a Sylvania Mini-Tablet Express. Just got this keyboard yesterday.

Tom

Pull the files at /system/usr/keylayout/
You specifically want:
qwerty.kl
USB-compliant_keyboard.kl
(there may also be a platform specific one for "keypad" you might need that too)

All these files define the layout of the keyboard.

Back up the files.
Edit each in a plain text editor so they agree as to function as much as possible.
You can rearrange the keys to your liking and push it back to your tablet. Reboot and it should work.

If you are wondering how you figure out which number corresponds to which key/button, you can either look at what it's already set to do and use that to figure out which key is actually doing it or you can use this dirt simple app to find button-to-number associations.

5star

Feb 27, 2011
Can someone please advise
1]whether I should plug the keyboard usb into the HOST port or OTG port. and
2] should the usb be inserted before startup.

My Haipad does not recognise when the usb is inserted. Could be problem be that I am using an adaptor from a normal USB to mini USB.

any help appreciated.

cheers 5*

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@5star - yours has two mini-USB ports? Is it an older one? I thought all the current ones had a single dual-purpose port.

Anyway, it would go in the "Host" port (because the tablet is acting as the host). You should be able to plug it in any time but there are a couple of additional things:

1. The firmware has to have the USB Host drivers (these often only support mouse, keyboard, and FAT format thumb drives)
2. Usually will not work through a USB Hub

Usually a simple normal -> mini adapter isn't a problem. If it's some other kind of adapter that's more like a hub though it would probably prevent it from working.

5star

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks Offworld, it is fairly new, purchased in July 2011. It had/still has a problem with thumb drives, some it recognizes others it does not, even if they are duplicate thumb drives from the same manufacturer and capacity.
How do I check if it has the USB Host Drivers? sorry but I am a simpleton at this
5*

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@5star - if it won't work with a basic USB keyboard or mouse then it doesn't have USB Host mode. It's part of the firmware and has to be included when the rom is "cooked" by whomever created it.

My comment about the 2 ports was because I forgot I wasn't reading in the Haipad Group forums. What kind of tablet do you have? Where did you get it? User experience and features vary greatly!

5star

Feb 27, 2011
Its called a GrandMars 400. it has 8gb memory, the Samsung Cortex 1GHz CPU, runs Android 2.3 gingerbread. It says Host 1.1 connect mouse, keyboard, USB flash drive. I bought it in HongKong. It looks exactly like a Hapipad M7. There is also a 16GB version available.

5star

Feb 27, 2011
It now works.

I unchecked the Android KeyBoard box in settings and viola!!
its always the basic things.

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
this forum is awesome! thanks to you guys we just realised that we seriously need to expand our collection of tablet keyboard cases to include much cheaper options for android tablets sized 7-10''. Most of the branded cases we have reviewed are quite expensive and are for ipads. in fact, as a general category of cases, keyboard cases are probably one of the most expensive cases for tablets...