challenge setting up and configuring Corporate email

Marper

May 16, 2011
I have attempted a numer of times setting up and configuring my corporate email on my Acer A500 tab with no success. I have mail configured on my Samsung Vibrant which has froyo 2.2 OS and so I confirmed that I can make the connection with android.

I have attempted connection with multiple apps such as k9 and others with same results. My it Dept will not assist however they provide documentation to configure an android device and I'm sure that I have configured everything correctly.

Has anyone had similar issues and found a work around? Any additional ideas that may get me past this bump in the road?

Oh, I have also configured mupy I pad connection as well and it works.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If the Corporate Service is Exchange, give this a try...download the tablet version of Touchdown from here: Redirecting... and do a manual config for your info. I have had a couple of devices that couldn't connect with the built in ActiveSync but this worked.

Marper

May 16, 2011
Thanks Peter. I have touchdown for tab installed and did man config as well as worked with someone in their support. Unfortunately, same results. Touchdown has synching issue and I tried exchange 2007 mode which appeared to work, but no mail retrieved

Marper

May 16, 2011
If the Corporate Service is Exchange, give this a try...download the tablet version of Touchdown from here: Redirecting... and do a manual config for your info. I have had a couple of devices that couldn't connect with the built in ActiveSync but this worked.

I dowloaded the referenced link and get an error that the file cannot be parsed. Can I get this same file from the apps market?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
you should be able to get it from the market. That link is good for those that do not have market set up on their tabs.

Marper

May 16, 2011
I ran the app again after downloading, tried to perform activesync got error, but it said it was configured in Exchange mode. Once I selected close, I received Touchdown Error (null->Error synchronizing.

Marper

May 16, 2011
I really appreciate all the help. I guess I'm trying to figure out what is the difference between either the phone OS 2.2 froyo and the tablet Honeycomb ? I do see that there is definately a difference in the configuration UI and how the requested setup varies from the two. I "assumed" that since its all android, they would all contain the same underlying foundation for such utilities. Does anyone know if the architecture between tablet and phone OS versions are that significantly different from google or is it the carriers ?

Once again thanks!!!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You may be running into the issue with 802.x authentication that some Honeycomb devices are having. Are you able to get any Wifi connectivity on your tablet to your network? What i am asking, is if the server you are trying to connect to is on the same Wifi you are using to connect the tablet.

Marper

May 16, 2011
Hi Peter,

The server I am trying to get to is not on the same network I have wifi on. I've tried both from home and work, which work location is not my companies network or in the same state. I am able to get a very good wifi signal.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Thats a conundrum for sure. you also can't use the built in corporate email setup?

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

Marper

May 16, 2011
It would appear that OEM's "wifi" only tablets have a very different version of android that what is being used by the Carriers. The missing component is the Corporate Mail configuration that is on most android phones and now carrier tablets. I am going to buy the Xoom and Galaxy this week to test out my suspicion. Activesync appears to be the key to all this. In the end I will have to get a tablet with a carrier. But I still wonder why the iPad works flawlessly ?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
i have full access to my corporate email from my gtab. I forget, what ROM are you on? I am currently running BOS Honeycomb, but I had it on the Vegan ROMs as well.