Chargers

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
It just occurred to me that I have only ONE way to charge the A500, and if anything happens to it, I'm toast.

Anyone found wall chargers for sale? Tips for iGo chargers? Car chargers?

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Im in the process on working that angle with a local distributor!!! Needless to say i left my winpy 3 foot charger at the house today and I'm pissed :)

I'll keep you posted as well as my site

THANK you. I seriously HATE this wall charger. I feel like I'm glued against the wall when I have to use it while it charges.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I agree, the charger is lame.
I understant that if you want to charge at an amp and a half, you can't do that thru the USB port and still stay within USB specifications. 1amp is max there per spec.

But why not allow charging thru the micro USB port at a slower rate, instead of just ignoring any power available over that port?
Almost any android phone charger would work if they just allowed some charging from the USB port, even if it is slower.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
I agree, the charger is lame.
I understant that if you want to charge at an amp and a half, you can't do that thru the USB port and still stay within USB specifications. 1amp is max there per spec.

But why not allow charging thru the micro USB port at a slower rate, instead of just ignoring any power available over that port?
Almost any android phone charger would work if they just allowed some charging from the USB port, even if it is slower.

What I dont get is that they announced it WOULD charge off the USB port ages ago.. so I don't know what the heck happened. I don't even care about that. If I need a proprietary port, fine. The Transformer needs it.. I understand. But when the cord is this short, and the electrical pins on the end that plug into the wall so freakin touchy (if I move one inch, it loses the connection to charge for some reason), then there's a problem.

PLEASE let us know if you find someone who can make at least a 5-6ft long cord. I'd love to charge this while sitting on the sofa and watching tv.

it2steve

Feb 16, 2011
What I dont get is that they announced it WOULD charge off the USB port ages ago.. so I don't know what the heck happened. I don't even care about that. If I need a proprietary port, fine. The Transformer needs it.. I understand. But when the cord is this short, and the electrical pins on the end that plug into the wall so freakin touchy (if I move one inch, it loses the connection to charge for some reason), then there's a problem.

PLEASE let us know if you find someone who can make at least a 5-6ft long cord. I'd love to charge this while sitting on the sofa and watching tv.

my 'demo' of the charger should be here Wednesday :) If it works I should be able to get some VERY quickly!

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I bought a multi ac/dc adapter that has 5v - 12 volt 1300ma (the Acer Charger is 12v at 1500ma) and a seven different plugs plus a USB charger socket at walmart. It has an eight foot cord which is plenty long.

I got it for my cruz reader but it has an adapter that fits the Iconia and works just fine.

Cen5

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Google "ELK-P1216" (with the quotes). You will find a lot of sources. Its very common.

compucart

May 17, 2011
I bought a multi ac/dc adapter that has 5v - 12 volt 1300ma (the Acer Charger is 12v at 1500ma) and a seven different plugs plus a USB charger socket at walmart. It has an eight foot cord which is plenty long.

I got it for my cruz reader but it has an adapter that fits the Iconia and works just fine.

Cen5

Hi,

Which Multi ac/dc adapter u bought? There are many multi adapters that will work, however the problem i am finding is that the Acer Iconia A500 has a unique pin and plug size. The Multi ac/dc adapters i have tried dont have the correct plug size. Also the pin in the A500 is flat. Do u have the make of you multi ac/dc adapter?

thx