Choppy 1080p video on wifi

newuser2012

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, I just got ther A500 today (manufactured december 2011) and tried to play some 1080p HD movie trailers on youtube, yahoo movies, movie websites etc..but the 1080p video is really choppy and not smooth at all. Is this normal? The 780p seems to play smooth. Some movie websites that have embedded video on the start page are also very slow (e.g. Grey). I also noticed google maps is terribly choppy.

So is this normal or can I fix it?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
How fast is your internet connection? This is often the deciding factor.

Click this link to a Movie trailer for Pussinboots, and select the stock movie player if asked:

http://www.tools4movies.com/xoom/1080p/pussinboots-tlr1_h1080p.mp4

This is created by Dvdcatalyst, a contributor on these forums.

See also this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/28540-a500-poor-video-playback.html
and notice that there is a search box in the upper right hand of the forum page.

If the movie is encoded in 1080p but not in the right format then decoding is choppy at best.

However, if google maps is also choppy it sounds like you have a bandwidth problem.
Or you have some application running that it taking a huge amount of processing power.
Check what is using the battery in settings. Kill off Active wallpapers.

newuser2012

Jan 28, 2012
Thank for the reply - the video played very smoothly so I guess it is either a bandwith problem (I do have an older wireless router) or in a wrong format.

I also tried to play some trailers form this website, this one for example didn't work: http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_1080p_Teaser_Trailer.html. This is an mp4 file and the thread you linked to says that mkv files have problems; are mp4s a problem too? - and is mkv/mp4 support a problem across all android tablets or is this a problem with only the a500? Are there any other video formats that cause problems with the acer and/or all androids? What is the ideal file type to use?

What is the best player I can use? I downloaded MX, should I also get mobo?

edit: whoops, I just saw that the spiderman clip didn't let me select hardware decoding (not supported it said)...why would it do that?

Last edited:

newuser2012

Jan 28, 2012
and maybe let me ask another question...isthere a 1080p youtube video that does work for you (or anyone elsehere) that i could try to see if t is my connection that is causing the problem? im seeing a lot `not optimised for mobile` messages onthe top of the video whenever i try to play them though...is this just a a500 problem or are all honeycomb having thisnissue in youtube?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Thank for the reply - the video played very smoothly so I guess it is either a bandwith problem (I do have an older wireless router) or in a wrong format.

That site STREAMS the video, so you have no bandwidth problem.

It streams in a format that the Tegra 3 processor in the Acer knows how to handle. The Thread I linked to is was written by the guy who
makes DVD Catalyst and its pretty good at ripping DVD movies that play perfectly on the Acer. If you plan to add your own movies
to the acer this is one of the best softwares to have, it has settings that are specific for many devices, including the acer.

Other movies ripped in other formats will also play with MoBo Player or Buzz Player, but in many cases you have to
set those players to use software decoding. (symptom is no sound without it).

That works fine for stuff downloaded to the tablet. But with streaming movies, in the wrong format, it generally can't keep
up using software decoding when the media is streaming, and the result is choppy.

Bear in mind that not all mp4 files are created equally. Same for AVI files. These are container formats, and what the actual content is inside these containers
varies quite a bit.

So having a couple movie players on your tablet won't hurt a thing.

P.S. The Spider man trailer you linked to worked poorly for me using the stock player. It didn't play well in any player. Its just a crappy encoding meant for some other platform.